6 Goals | 2020 Halftime Check-in

   
Goal setting, baby boomers, retirement goals
     I vaguely recall writing, at the close of last year, that I had such a good feeling about 2020. 

     What. The. Hell. Happened.

     We are halfway through, and I wanted to check-in to see how you were doing with the goals you set. I think that it would be beneficial if we supported each other throughout the year, instead of only looking back at the end. 

     It has been a challenging year in which to meet the goals we have set for ourselves. Many of us have unmet goals this year, and that is alright. Even though we may not have been successful in all our endeavours, having clear goals shows that we are actively planning, thinking and trying. 

     Alternatively, maybe it’s not that we aren’t meeting our goals by some fault of our own, but rather that our goals changed due to circumstances beyond our control. 

     Many people accomplished things that weren’t even on their radar at the end of December. Projects of all descriptions were completed during the past months of being at home more, and new ideas took flight. 

     People built fences, painted, remodelled, started new gardens, and read piles of books. They organized neglected closets and drawers and sorted old photographs. People discovered new hobbies or picked old ones up again. 

     I reviewed my goals from the post Writing My Way Into 2020, to see how I was doing. I was leery of sharing with you as putting them out there for all to see seemed like a lot of added pressure. What if I fail?

     If no one knows what our goals are, we are less likely to be committed to them. It is then easier to let them fall unnoticed by the wayside. I am good at writing down my goals on a new pad of paper, but not always great at seeing them through to fruition. I realized I did make some progress though, so that is a positive. 


2020 Goals

1. Goal - Embrace the changing seasons

Throughout the winter, The Hubs and I travelled to local lakes with our converted ice fishing camper. We braved some icy cold days and heavy snow.  We managed to catch a few fish, and the fish fries were epic. 

This spring and early summer, we went out on the boat several times. On a couple of those occasions, I didn’t even need a winter coat. The purchase of rain gear and an enclosure for the boat will extend the season for us. 

We decided we were going to get out there, no matter if the weather isn’t always perfect. 

2. Goal - Technology 

I think this one will be on my list forever. I re-designed this blog, started a food blog and an online gift shop. 

Working on my own on these projects means I spend a lot of time trying to resolve technical issues that I inevitably encounter. Let me tell you there have been a few. 

Some days I concede defeat and leave the issue alone. When I eventually return to the problem, the answer usually comes easily. Go figure. 

Recording a podcast is an interesting experience. Reading your own words out loud, error-free, in a room all by yourself is way harder than one would assume.

After we reach a certain age, merely trying to remember our passwords is a goal. Despite these minor frustrations, I have learned so many things through trial and error. I keep at whatever it is until I get it figured out. 

3. Goal - Expand my knowledge base

Before the virus hit, I managed to do some personal development. I attended a workshop for writers in Regina, a publishing symposium in Saskatoon and completed an online writers marketing course. I enjoyed these learning opportunities and hope to continue trying new ones.

It had been years since I had done anything like that. It is good to challenge our minds because if we don't, we become afraid and convince ourselves that we can’t learn anything new.

4. Goal - Continuing to learn about my family history

In the post for International Women’s Day in March titled, They Knew Nothing Different | Strong Women, I did some research about my grandmothers. I learned some interesting things that attest to their strength as women.  

My weekly visits with Mom at the nursing home were rolling along nicely until Corona curtailed them. Mom always had some new tidbit of family folklore to share during those visits, so we have some catching up to do. I keep a list called "Ask Mom" on my phone of the questions that I want to ask her.

Now in her early nineties, she isn’t that interested in talking about what is currently going on in the world, but when I bring up a topic from years ago, she is quiet at first then starts telling me details faster then I can record them. Frankly, I am not that interested in discussing what’s going on in the world right now either.

5. Goal - Eating less processed foods

In my January post Processed Foods: How Far We Have Fallen, I discussed the effects of processed foods on our health

This is something I need to be more mindful of, as it has been easy to return to poor eating habits over the past few months. I know that is an excuse, but that's my story, and I am sticking to it.   

6. Goal - Growing my business Grandma G Ventures (Blogs | Podcast | Gift Shop | Freelance Writing)

A couple more of my short stories were published, and I added new products to my gift shop. I attended one trade show, but unfortunately, the others were cancelled due to the pandemic.

     The good thing about goal setting is that the goals you set can be changed, updated or kicked to the curb if they are the wrong choice for you.  

“A dream becomes a goal when action is taken toward its achievement.” 
Author, Bo Bennett 

Tips to think about when reevaluating your goals;

Be Realistic  

Try not to set too many goals at one time. Putting so much pressure on yourself will leave you feeling overwhelmed and defeated. Ouch, that one hurt. I am never bored though.

On the other hand, if you don’t set any goals at all, you can feel like you’re floundering with no direction. Reaching goals is what propels us forward in life.

Divide and Conquer 

Break a big goal into several smaller ones and celebrate your accomplishments along the way.  The gratification you get from completing a short term goal is good for your mental well-being and your self-confidence. I love checking something off my to-do-list almost as much as I love the new pad of paper itself.

Be Kind to Yourself

No one is more critical of us than ourselves. This is counterproductive, but sometimes we have to restate the obvious.  A goal can be a solitary pursuit or one you set with your partner or a friend. Moral support and a little bit of friendly competition can be great motivators. Give credit where credit is due, whether it is to yourself or someone else.

Write Them Down

It is beneficial to write your goals down; you can then see what you’ve accomplished. Writing them down has a calming effect and makes you more accountable, thus more likely to succeed. 

A goal, especially if it is a new one, may need revisiting and adjusting as you gain knowledge. Don’t judge yourself too harshly if you decide changes are needed. 

I encourage you to jot down what has gone well for you in the past six months. Focus on the positive. Your accomplishments could include things you’ve done around your home, volunteer work, helping family or friends going through hard times, professionally, in your relationships, financially or creatively. You may be pleasantly surprised at the length of your list. 

     If we have unmet goals, the way I see it, there are three options:

a) work towards the completion of our goals if we feel they still have merit and relevance 

b) keep dragging them around with us, never doing things differently or making any decisions 

c) let them go, set new goals and move on 

     Barely a day goes by that we don’t see, hear or read something that makes us feel bad about ourselves. I know how hard it is. I aim to encourage and inspire people to try new things and not beat yourself up if things don’t always work out. 

"If you fell down yesterday, stand up today." - H.G. Wells

Thank you for reading! 


Thank

Comments

Print