Retirement | 10 Important Tips to Live Your Best Life


retirement, baby boomers, retirement tips
One of the cool things about blogging or journaling is that you can look back and see what you were thinking about at different stages of your life. This opportunity to reflect helps us to understand where we stepped off our path and what we have learned along the way that we can share with others.

My second year of blogging and my second year of retirement are one and the same to me. I started blogging the week I retired, so the two are intertwined. Some of what I learned and a few of my favourite quotes from the past year are listed below. They may seem like a given, but just because something seems obvious does not mean it is going to be easy to do.

10 IMPORTANT TIPS TO LIVE YOUR BEST LIFE

1.  CONTINUE TO LEARN

Looking back at what I wrote about over the past year, I see that I did a lot of thinking about places that are close to home for me and that have personal significance. 

I learned the history of areas that have been right in front of me for years. I had never stopped to take the time to see them truly. Stories about my parents' and grandparents' lives were still forefront in my mind.

Researching these topics was an on-going learning experience that challenged me and made me want to learn more. Each newfound bit of knowledge brought with it more questions. Everyone I met or interviewed taught me something. I never knew how much I didn’t know. 

2.  USE YOUR LIFE LESSONS TO HELP YOU RELATE 

The effects our life experiences have on our ability to relate to people and situations are significant. We can best relate to other's pain and suffering if we have been there ourselves. People feel connected when they have a frame of reference.  

Through our experiences, we learn empathy, compassion, understanding and the value of simple acts of kindness. We can use the knowledge and wisdom we have gained to guide others through situations we have been through and to help them avoid the pitfalls. 

3. UNDERSTAND THE POWER OF YOUR MINDSET

Focusing on maintaining a positive mindset is one of the best things you can do for yourself, and it can be life-changing. It takes vigilance and effort, as we are bombarded with negative images daily.

Procrastination, self-doubt and pessimism drain our energy. Confidence, a positive attitude and staying in tune with our bodies gives us the courage to move forward.

Our minds are powerful things; when we fill them with good thoughts, our lives will start to change. Work towards a growth mindset as opposed to one that fixates on the same things. 

4.  LISTEN AND OBSERVE 

Studying the concept of listening more and talking less was fascinating. I have noticed that those who observe and listen are learning all the time. 

Effective communication skills can take people a long way in life. Do we listen with the intent to understand, or do we listen with the intent to reply? Can we do both at the same time? I can't. If I am thinking about my reply instead of listening to the conversation, I don't retain everything I heard.

"When you talk, you’re only repeating what you already know, but if you listen, you may learn something new."  Dalai Lama

5. STOP TAKING THINGS FOR GRANTED

As COVID-19 progressed, I quickly became aware of the things I was taking for granted and realized I should count my blessings. I also felt like a part of history in the making, a feeling I have never had before.

I learned that life’s simple pleasures like visiting relatives and friends, attending the kids and grandkids events, going shopping or to a restaurant can be taken away. I was powerless to stop it. 

I realized how quickly things could go south, once businesses are closed and jobs are lost, the economy of the entire world rapidly begins to crumble under our feet.

I naively assumed that things would always stay the same. 

"It’s a funny thing about life, once you begin to take note of the things you are grateful for, you begin to lose sight of the things that you lack." Germany Kent

6.  GAIN SOME PERSPECTIVE 

I was surprised to see how my perspective changed in just a few months. What seemed significant a few months ago now seems less so. Things that happen unexpectedly in the world inevitably alter our perspectives. 

It is not what happens to us, but how we react to it that shapes who we become. If we are too close to a situation, it is hard to maintain perspective. At times we need to step back, breathe and re-evaluate.

We need to be aware of how we view things. Do we have an all or nothing attitude? Putting ourselves in someone else's shoes is the key to successful relationships.

"In the rush to normal, use this time to consider which parts of normal are worth rushing back to.” Dave Hollis

7.  GET OUTDOORS

I still love gardening, but every year the yard mysteriously seems to get a little bigger, and it takes us longer to maintain it. Despite this, the benefits outweigh the burden of the added work. After being cooped up in the house for weeks, it feels fantastic to be out in the sunshine. A simple thing, but such a gift. 

It is interesting how walking a few feet and sitting on a deck chair can cause one to relax and feel more positive. A chair and fresh air cause us not to care about life for a few blissful moments. 


8.  EXERCISE

I try to get outside and walk as often as possible even though my old shoes left me with blisters. I bought a new pair of walking shoes (which, by the way, also give me blisters) in my signature Grandma G colours - grey, pink, black and white. They are really pretty...if only I didn't have to go along when they went out to exercise, I would love them even more. 

Seriously though, I do feel good when I get even a minimal amount of exercise. Once I make the decision and start, it is enjoyable (ok tolerable). We all know the benefits of exercise, but putting everything else aside and choosing self-care is difficult. I am grateful to be able to do this. I know many people would give anything to have the physical ability to take a walk. 

9.  PACE YOURSELF

Throughout the world, over the past year, people have experienced a great deal of turmoil. Those events will fade away, and we will shift our focus to new issues. 

One thing we can count on is that worry will always be replaced by another concern. Do not spend all your emotional energy on one situation, pace yourself. This, too, shall pass.

10. DEEP ROOTS AND STRONG WINGS ARE THE FOUNDATION OF SUCCESS

Every old farmyard you drive by has roots that trace to someone. Lives unfolded there, and I picture those images whenever I drive by an abandoned home. Knowing where you came from is important, our roots give us the foundation to build our lives on.

In the past year, Labour Day, Thanksgiving, birthdays, Remembrance Day, Christmas, New Year's, Valentine's Day, Family Day, St. Patrick's Day, Easter, Memorial Day and Canada Day came and went. All these dates and the stories I shared to accompany them are memories now, a part of my life story.

As time passes and my retirement date moves further into the background, I become more removed from the world of full-time employment that I was a part of for so long. It is a natural progression I know and with it comes changes, what I learned in my second year was quite different from my first-year post 7 Things I've Learned | Retirement | Year 1

My tone switched, and it was interesting to re-visit those thoughts. This year’s focus continued to be reflective but centred more on mental and physical well being as opposed to adjusting to retirement. I am curious and a little pensive to see what year three will bring. 

Thank you to everyone who read, commented, liked and shared my blog and podcast stories. I appreciate your support, feedback and encouragement. 

This post links back to many of the articles I wrote in year two. I invite you to browse through the blog and read or reread any that may be of interest or inspiration to you.

Don’t forget to share this post. Thank you so much.

ADDITIONAL LINKS By Norma Galambos ⬇️


Comments

Print