2020 - What The Hell Was That?


I have to concede the pandemic took centre stage and seeped into every aspect of our lives, but other events also got our attention in 2020, such as: 
  • the acquittal of Donald Trump in an impeachment trial 
  • the death of NBA legend Kobe Bryant, his daughter and other passengers in a helicopter crash
  • massive fires in Australia and California 
  • Harry and Meghan stepping down from their royal duties and briefly moving to Canada before settling in the USA
  • Saskatchewan’s provincial election 
  • the chaos and fallout of the US election
  • natural disasters: floods, landslides, earthquakes, tropical storms, hailstorms, blizzards, volcanic eruptions and tornadoes left a trail of destruction around the globe 
  • plane crashes 
  • murder hornets 
  • protests against racism, police and pipelines 
  • mass shootings
  • the continuing saga of the late Jeffrey Epstein
  • Canada winning gold at the World Junior Ice Hockey Championships 
  • the drop in global carbon emissions
  • the development and rollout of the coronavirus vaccine 
I was thankful for the hobbies and projects I had on the go. These gave me a sense of control when so much else in life felt out of my control. It also gave me something to do in my "bubble”. At the start of this year, like thousands of other crafters across the country, I did not foresee the cancellation of most trade shows. This led me to set up my business online.

There were lots of awesome days spent outside; summer and winter fishing trips, camping and boating. Every day in the spring, summer and fall, I enjoyed time in our yard. Trees, plants and flowers are calming and energizing at the same time. Nature has a subtle way of replacing negative energy with positive energy.

In November, I changed the name of my blog to the Norma Galambos Lifestyle Blog from the Grandma G - My Journey Into Retirement Blog. I felt the original title did not reflect the diversity of my writing. In 2020, I shared fifty stories on a wide array of topics, including; old-time barn dances, country stores and schools, 1940s army training, gardening, The Hubs’ childhood stories, goal setting, retirement tips and more. 

When I think I have covered all my family history, another tidbit of information surfaces and leads me on a quest for knowledge. Through researching and writing these stories, I have learned so much. Stories I have written were published in provincial, national and international magazines and websites. I am pleased that these stories will be kept in their archives. 

This year felt like falling asleep on the couch back in the day, yes, the seventies, when television programming ended at midnight, and the screen went static. At some point you awoke to a buzzing sound, and the television screen was rolling. You felt disoriented and confused at how you got to that point. 

Looking back to 2019, I saw we took a holiday to Mexico in the winter, I went on a summer holiday to British Columbia, and we spent lots of time with the grandchildren. It was a typical year for us. This year was not typical, but we got through it. It is history now. 

This was the first time I can remember having to Google search for an encouraging message to write in my Christmas cards. It’s all just too much. Nothing sounded right, for example:
  • I look forward to maybe seeing you in the New Year
  • I’ll see you when I see you
  • If you see me keep your distance
  • Stop in for a visit, but you can’t come in the house 
After much debate, I went with, “sending lots of love from our house to yours." Weak, I know, but it was the best I could muster. 

On December 31, we usually celebrate the dawning of a new year, but this year many will be rejoicing the end of the old one. When the final curtain call of 2020 comes, no one will be sad to see it go. New Year’s Eve!, who am I kidding? The last couple of years, The Hubs was asleep by nine o’clock, and I watched the new year ring in on TV, that is if I made it to midnight. Isn’t it interesting that when something is taken from us, we remember it better than it actually was? I recall the New Year’s dances and parties we attended, with everyone hugging and kissing on you whether you wanted them to or not. Oh, a simpler time. 

This year I missed seeing my family and friends and, like thousands of grandparents, couldn't attend the grandkid's activities, if there were any. Parents and grandparents will appreciate the fact that on November 2, Baby Shark by Pinkfong became the most-watched video on YouTube with 7.4 billion views - you have to entertain the little ones somehow during lockdown!

The pandemic shut down everything from little league to major-league sports to the Summer Olympics. It seemed strangely quiet in Saskatchewan without the usual autumn buzz about Roughrider football.

The coronavirus didn’t care. It struck the homeless, princes and world leaders alike. I know many seniors have found this time lonely. 

Easter, July 1st, Thanksgiving, Halloween, Remembrance Day and now Christmas and New Years' came and went. It is probably a good thing that we didn’t have a crystal ball to see into the future. It would have shown us that the curse of a plague was upon us. What would we have done differently if we had known? 

I am aware that there are many families whose lives have been permanently impacted by the pandemic. Falling ill, the loss of loved ones and financial struggles have cut deep. The toll 2020 has taken on mental health should not be overlooked. 

My goals for 2021 are different than they have been the last couple of years.

This year I hope:
  • to be inspired to continue writing and creating
  • to maintain a positive mindset and attitude
  • to have the emotional strength to support others
I would like to thank you for:
  • shopping at my online/home Gift Shop
  • reading the Norma Galambos Lifestyle Blog and my food blog, Grandma G’s Recipe Book 
  • listening to my podcast
  • sharing a glimpse of your life through your encouraging, informative and entertaining comments
If you are reading this, congratulations, you made it through 2020, so breathe a sigh of relief and pat yourself on the back.

2020 in hashtags:
#socialdistancing 
#wearamask
#stayhome
#staysafe
#workfromhome
#lockdown
#quarantine
#donttouchyourface
#washyourhands
#staypositivetestnegative

If you like this story, 
please share it.
Thanks, Norma

Podcast version of this episode with BONUS content!


 

Comments

Unknown said…
You've Covered it all Norma! Maurice G.
Thanks for reading. Happy New Year!
Lila said…
Enjoy your blogs.Thank you.Happy New Year!
Thanks for reading, glad you enjoy my stories. Happy New Year! All the best in 2021.

Print