Writing My Way Into 2020


I know a few individuals that celebrated the incoming of the year 2000 a little too exuberantly just in case the world did end at 1999. When it didn’t, and the first sunrise of 2000 came up, they were left searching for the Tylenol. This past year was a good one in our house. We travelled to Mexico in the winter and I went to British Columbia in the summer. Our first grandson was born in May and we spent time with our three granddaughters as often as possible.

I spent many peaceful hours working in our yard. I learned about running a home-based business and the ins and outs of the craft sale world. 

Looking back on the goals I set for myself in 2019, I see that I made progress in some areas and have work to do in others in 2020. My goals included living in the moment, embracing the changing seasons, appreciating other people’s talents, expanding my knowledge of technology, spending time out in nature, stepping out of my comfort zone and continuing to learn about my family history. 

I need to continue to work on living in the moment instead of focusing on the past or worrying about the future. Keeping one's mind focused on the present takes work.  

Embracing the changing seasons is still a struggle. I was sad to have to let go of summer. We didn’t spend as much time on the boat as we had hoped, and it felt like summer took off in mid-August and never returned. Those few precious summer weekends are often filled with social or work commitments. 

With regards to expanding my knowledge of technology, I still feel like using all the features my blog has to offer is over my head at times. 

I learned a lot about appreciating other people’s talents and passions. With every new employment, crafting or writing endeavour I try I become more aware of the things people around me are doing. I am gaining a better understanding of just how difficult doing something new can be. I must continually remind myself not to be afraid to try something new. 

I think I stepped out of my comfort zone on a few occasions. Maybe not with both feet, but I am getting there. Putting myself out there by submitting my written work for publication, sometimes being successful and often being rejected has certainly been a huge learning experience. Presenting myself and my crafts at trade shows was a completely new venture for me.

My mission to learn more about my family history continued. I learned a lot from my mom, mother-in-law, siblings, aunts and uncles. This process is like peeling an onion, you get through one layer and there are many more underneath that you know nothing about. Everything I learned seems to spawn many more questions. 

In 2019 I shared stories with you on many different topics encompassing:
  • healthy eating, generation gaps, mindset, jobs, finances, gratitude, empty nests, birthdays and sibling relationships
  • the seasons as they changed
  • the joys and challenges of travelling 
  • grand parenting 
  • winter and summer fishing
  • highlights from the 70s and 80s
  • a history update of the last fifty years and a video of “The Village” - Leask, SK
  • our wedding story
  • hockey and softball memories as a wife and mother 
  • Valentine’s Day, Easter, Mother’s Day, Father’s Day, Canada Day, Halloween, Remembrance Day and Christmas 
  • travelling salesmen, gold mining, ocean liners and World War 11 uniforms
  • Mom’s garden, riding a cow and the house on the farm
I don't know about you, but I learned a lot of things that I didn't know before. 

Thank you for reading my blog and listening to the podcast version. I love reading your comments and I especially like the stories you share with me. I am often inspired by your words. Thanks also to those who were able to support my Gift Shop through your purchases. 

I hope you will continue with me on my journey into 2020. I am excited to see what adventures will unfold in the first year of this new decade. 

May the new year bring you love, happiness, success and many good laughs along the way.

The Best of 2019 Slide Show

Happy New Year! 

If you like this post, I’d love if you shared it. 


Print