What’s On Your Mind?



Memory 

We don’t remember days; we remember moments. The phrase “in the back of my mind” refers to the part of our brain where thoughts and memories are stored. We seldom think about these memories, or when we do, we misremember them. They exist in our subconscious, and that is where those déjà vu feelings come from, the vague sense that something or someone is familiar.

We imagine a person or an event a certain way but then think, "I saw that going differently in my mind," when we see the reality. A person can be positive they are right about the details of an event and proclaim they could’ve sworn that was what happened. Interestingly, this happens to all of us, although some won’t admit they are ever mistaken. 

Do you ever feel like you want to get out of your head, relax and let your mind wander? I suppose that is what daydreaming is. Is a wandering mind a happy one, or is it better to stay in the present? Does rehashing the past lead to self-recriminations? We can’t take back something said, money spent, what we ate or drank, no matter how much we beat ourselves up about it. 

In school, I got in trouble for talking too much or daydreaming, but I think a creative and questioning mindset helps children learn and grow.

It can take time for a thought you haven’t had in a long time to come back to you. Have you ever struggled to remember something, feeling like the answer is on the tip of your tongue and then it comes to you hours later, in the middle of the night? Why can we remember it then but couldn't when we initially tried? All day, our brains are cluttered with different processes going on simultaneously, but at night our minds slow down and can finish the tasks it was trying to do earlier.


Some studies claim that females have better memories than males. I don’t know if that’s true, but it seems like women can quickly recall something annoying their man did 30 years ago with no problem while the male has no recollection of it…….


Earworms

Not being able to get something out of your head is as bad as not being able to remember. An earworm is an expression that describes having a sound, phrase or song stuck on repeat in your brain. I haven’t tried this yet but chewing gum is supposed to help get rid of an annoying earworm.


Sleep Quality 

Everyone has times when they feel they have too much on their mind. We all have those nights where we lay awake thinking about things that bother us. We toss and turn, unable to clear our heads. Anxiety creeps in and runs rampant. Insomnia is frustrating, you can’t sleep at night, but then when morning comes, you are sleeping like a baby. You feel exhausted, dead to the world but must get up anyway, which is not fun.

The Hubs can usually turn his mind off at night, even when he’s got a lot going on, and quickly fall asleep. I admit I’m jelly of his ability to compartmentalize things. It takes me hours to unwind and fall into a less than peaceful slumber. Nighttime is something I dread as it takes so much effort to get to sleep. 

I struggle to turn my mind off, so I usually put headphones in and listen to something unrelated to anything I have on my mind, and that’s how I fall asleep. The thing is, I wake up hours later with the sound still playing in my ears. I often wonder whether it is possible to have a good sleep with information continuing to stream into my brain. At some point does the human brain naturally protect itself by tuning everything out and shutting down for the night?


Mental Health 

Fear is a powerful emotion, and it can have a lot of control over how we live our lives. It isn’t all bad, though, as it has a purpose. It keeps most of us on the straight and narrow, helping us think things through in advance of action. Without it, we would all be running amuck, and it wouldn’t be a pretty sight. Those without fear can put themselves and others in harm's way. 

Once you see or hear something, it cannot be unseen or unheard; it’s in our memory forever. Archived thoughts can resurface at the most unexpected moments. If it’s something we don’t want to think about, we repeatedly push the thought back into our minds and it becomes an internal tug of war. The term “trigger warning” is used to warn people that what they are about to be exposed to could bring a repressed memory back. 

I find that when I get anxious in a social situation, I have difficulty recalling things people tell me. I am listening but not retaining the information. I think people who live in the middle ground are the happiest people; they aren’t afraid to try new things but respect boundaries. 

It is best not to dwell on anything and use up too much emotional energy on one issue. When we get one thought off our mind, it is replaced by another. Deal with the stressful thought as best as possible and carry-on. 

Tips On How To Clear Your Head
  • meditate - take quiet time to center yourself; if you have young children, you may have to hide in the bathroom, but whatever works 
  • journal - I have been writing for a few years now, and before that, I kept journals about whatever was going on in my life at the time; I find writing to be calming, the mere sight of a new pad of paper and pen makes me feel zen
  • draw - even if it’s doodling, it can help settle your thoughts. I can only draw a cat, a stick bird and flowers, so no judgement of your artistic talents from me
  • talk things through with someone you trust; sometimes, just saying things out loud can take their power away or help you see the issue from a different perspective 
  • mantra - create a personal one, i.e. "You got this, Norma" 
It’s often best to avoid late-night, life-changing plans or purchases as few good decisions are made between midnight and dawn. If you can’t let it go, let it be.


If you enjoy this blog, please share it; thank you.

🔗Audio Version 🎤 

Comments

Print