Summer Fashion | Our Way


Does anyone remember the good ole days when all we did was complain about the weather? It is not the first thing that comes up in a conversation anymore. I did not foresee the temperature ever falling to second place.

The climate in Saskatchewan can be erratic. We have warm spells in the dead of winter and freezing temperatures in summer.  

When embarking on an outdoor adventure, be prepared for all the seasons that will come at you in short succession. There can be cold, wind, rain, snow, freezing rain, fog, freezing fog, hail or heat. 

You are likely to return from your excursion with at least one of the following conditions: windburn, sunburn, frostbite, heatstroke or hail welts (I can attest from personal experience that hailstones hurt). 

There is nothing you can do to change the weather; either you suck it up and get out there and live life, or you get left at home, on the couch, where it’s warm.

I know I should stop worrying about what the weather will be like; it’s not like I’m ever unprepared. 

No matter where I go, I like to be ready for every possible weather scenario. Packing light is not one of my strong points, as I am seldom without my ugly tote bag full of "necessities”. I have a closet full of other bags, but I always seem to come back to this one for some mystical reason.

I desperately want to be one of those gals that flies by the seat of her pants, leaving the house with nothing but her cell phone.

When I inventoried “the bag”, I found:

Basic necessities such as:
  • screwdriver 
  • Swiss army knife
  • Tylenol
  • Gravol
  • phone charger
  • toilet paper 
  • Kleenex 
  • garbage bags
  • travel mugs 
  • hairbrush
  • Lypsol
  • insect repellent 
  • disinfectant wipes
  • hand sanitizer 
  • masks 
  • first aid supplies
  • sunscreen
  • After Bite
  • allergy pills
  • pen
  • paper
  • towel 
  • umbrella 
  • sunglasses 
Plus wardrobe changes: 
  • shorts
  • long pants
  • sweater
  • jacket
  • hat
  • bathing suit 
  • rain suit
  • toque
  • scarf
  • gloves 
  • socks 
  • shoes
  • sandals 
Ugly bag ⬇️

I thought I would share with you The Hubs and my timeless attire. At what age do you think warmth and comfort outweigh style? 

You won’t find this garb on any fashion show cat walk as we save this pageantry for family and friends. I was trying to think of a description for our style, what is the one that comes way before casual?

Now on to the Fashion Show featuring The Hubs and myself. If it’s good fashion advice you’re looking for please contact someone else.


In this June 2020 photo, I am wearing a stylish thrift store winter jacket paired with a grey ball cap and a slight sneer.


The aforementioned winter coat, a smirk, and a black and green toque from my high school with the word "Rams" proudly displayed.  

The weird part is that I actually look happier in the January picture, you want to know why? - because it was warmer!


Hair - the wet cat look. Beige army style hat with a black and white Joe Fresh pullover from SuperStore. Note, all my outfits are accompanied by black stretchy pants, capris or shorts. 
Expression - perturbed.



For the guys, it’s all about the hats. Here The Hubs is wearing a New Holland, BORN + RAISED, Hunter Brothers hat.  


The Hubs about to shovel hail stones out of the boat. Wearing swampy Wrangler jeans with his “good wear” T-shirt. Accessorized with a black faux leather belt and oversized phone case. 


The Hubs, being the clotheshorse that he is, is shown here in a royal blue Under Armour T-shirt with his ancient,  but favourite black cargo shorts. Hat and “I can’t tell where you are looking sunglasses”. He is flaunting an uncharacteristic amount of leg. (sunburn to follow) 
Expression - unreadable.


Navy Puma hat, sunglasses on top of the hat, prescription glasses on face, full length Big Bird yellow rubber rain slicker, leather coat covering lower body. 
Expression - pissed off.



Did some online shopping on the way home from yellow slicker trip and purchased this modern Frogg Toggs rain suit. Rough Rider hat.
Expression - still pissed off. 


Me getting out there and living life. Fleece is where I live. 


Black lined fall coat, Hollywood sunglasses. 
Expression - I should’ve packed more snacks! 


Burgundy, sweaty coat that doesn't breathe, bunnyhug and hat. 
Expression - Distant pensive gaze or (what the hell am I gonna make for supper instead of fish?). 



I have this tank top in three different colors. It’s my go to Denver Haynes relaxed fit from Mark’s. I will probably wear them until they disintegrate. 


A trendsetter in blue hat, two pairs of glasses, black quilted jacket paired with pilled green decades-old Huskies sweatpants, saggy at butt and knees. 
Expression - maybe if I move the boat three feet that way...



A hat and t-shirt with his standard long-sleeved shirt underneath. 
Expression - how do you like me now? 


Rhinestone encrusted, wraparound sunglasses accessorize a black and white Walmart tank top and swim short bathing suit, The Hubs in a grey Under Armour T-shirt, his faithful white and blue O’Neill swim shorts and aviator sunglasses.
 
Expression - Who cares what we wear, happy and relaxed is still the best look!

On the list below I think we are somewhere between mud & allergies and hope. 
If you like this story, I would love you to share it, thank you. Norma 

Comments

Print