You Might Be A Mother If



  • “I’m scared, can I sleep in your bed?”
  • “Lay with me.”
  • “Play with me.”
  • “Read me that book again.”
  • “Why?”
  • “I need a Bandaid!”
  • “What is Mom going to say?”
  • “Don’t tell Mom.”
  • “Taste this, has it gone bad?”
  • “Can you fix this?”
  • “Ten more minutes.”
  • “Can you send me your recipe for...”
  • “Why doesn’t mine taste like yours?”
  • “What would you do if you were me?”
  • “I told you so.”
  • “Go to your room.”
  • “If you would’ve just listen to your mother.”
  • “If your friend jumped off a bridge, would you jump off too?”
  • “Why? Because I said so.”
  • “I said no.”
  • “Don’t sit so close to the television. It will wreck your eyes.”
  • “Do you think I am stupid?”
  • “If you keep making that face, it’s going to stay that way.”
  • “What part of no don’t you understand?”
  • “I don’t care who started it.”
  • “Wait until your dad gets home.”
  • “If you don’t listen, you feel.”
  • “Don’t cry.” - to a sobbing child. 
  • “Don’t come running to me if you fall and break your leg.”
  • “Eat your supper.”
  • “Get in the tub.” 
  • “Get out of the tub.”
  • "It’s not my first rodeo.”
  • “Get to bed.”
  • “When you’re a parent you’ll understand.”
  • “Call me when you get there."
  • “One day you will thank me for this.”
A mother is someone you can go to for advice when you are sick, mad, lonely or anxious. You can comfortably share your joys and sorrows with her. A mother has empathy and understanding, learned from life experiences. 

Memories of our mom’s gardens’, home cooked meals and baking stay with us. A mother is someone who would gladly take the place of their child when times are hard; someone that can be trusted, who loves unconditionally. 

A mother makes many decisions every day and answers all those "why” questions. Motherhood can feel like an overwhelming responsibility at times. It is the most rewarding and sometimes the most frustrating job in the world. 

On Mother’s Day I think of many women. Those who have lost their mothers, are mothers themselves or are mothers not by blood but by love. Women who choose not to be mothers, those that long to be mothers and mothers who have suffered the loss of a child are in my thoughts. 

If your relationship with your mom isn’t what you hoped it would be, remind yourself that you can’t change the past. It is in your hands, though, to change the future for the next generation. 

I have thought about my children every day since I became a mother thirty-eight years ago. The old saying "once a mother, always a mother” holds true. A mother’s love is a powerful force.



“Nothing is lost until your mother 
can’t find it.”

“Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out.”

“A mother is she who can take the place of all others but whose place 
no one else can take.”
Cardinal Mermillod

“A mom’s hug lasts long after 
she lets go.”

Happy Mother’s Day! 


Thank

Comments

Print