Easter | Epic Bunny Cake


Every Easter Mom would hide our baskets of chocolate goodies in the same spot behind the couch and we were always thrilled to find them there. The Hubs said his Mom hid their Easter eggs outside in little nests that she made from grass. She hid the boiled eggs that they had coloured, and an egg hunt ensued.  

My mother-in-law also decorated Easter eggs with intricate Ukrainian inspired designs on them. Year's ago she showed me how to draw the designs on the egg in wax with a kistka instrument and we made some nice ones together. I believe they still sit on display in her farmhouse. The kids and I coloured eggs every year. Coloring eggs at Easter is one of those things that I felt I needed to do to make the holiday feel complete.  Do families still decorate eggs together?

Until my parents moved off the farm The Hubs, our kids and myself spent every holiday there and Easter was no exception. My siblings and their families often came home for Easter.  Some of them lived in different provinces so it was hard for everyone to be there for holidays. I only lived three miles away, so we were a constant presence. The family farm was like a sacred gathering spot where you felt a sense of peace come over you as soon as you turned down the lane.

You never know what the weather will be like at Easter time in Saskatchewan. It can be sunny and warm, raining or snowing. The months of March and April are a restless time for prairie people. Everyone is anxious to seed their crops, plant their gardens and clean their yards, but as always mother nature decides our path.  

We attended the Easter masses at our church every year. Mom made the most amazing hot cross buns and a big feast was enjoyed by all. As kids, we loved it when Mom made her epic bunny cake. Bunnies made from marshmallows circled the cake and a nest made from shredded coconut filled with jelly beans took center stage on top.


My bunny cake 2023

Our kids always got so much Easter chocolate as they were often the only little kids around. One year my son ate so much chocolate that he broke out in hives.  The Hubs and I were as bad with the Easter treats as we were with the Halloween candy - dang sweet tooth’s!

Easter 1992

To use up the excess, I cut up the chocolate rabbits and sent them to school with my daughter to share with the other kids. They were excited to get the chocolate. She said it made her realize that not all the kids got as many treats at Easter as she did.  We teach our kids small, unscripted life lessons all the time without realizing it.  

Happy Easter🐰🐥!

If you think your friends would like this story, I’d love you to share it!  Thanks.

You can listen to this episode on my  




Comments

Print