My First Pension Cheque


Pension, Retirement

The big day has finally arrived; my first company pension cheque miraculously appeared via cyberspace. It’s not like I didn’t know it was coming, but it still felt strange as I sat looking at the numbers on the screen. I guess at the back of my mind I was always afraid that when the time came someone would tell me “geez sorry we ran out”.

I foolishly couldn’t resist the temptation - at 1:00 a.m. I got up and checked online for my direct deposit and to my horror, it was not there; my worst fears realized.

I checked it again this morning and low and behold there it was. I guess they don’t think pensioners need their money at the stroke of midnight on payday as we are all supposedly sleeping.

Previous generations would not have wanted their cheque to come this way; they preferred it to come by snail mail so they could experience the excitement of waiting, checking the mail and holding it in their own two hands.

When I saw it I glanced around like Morgan Freeman in the movie The Shawshank Redemption when he digs that box of money up from under the tree and looks nervously around. It feels really odd to get paid not to go to work; doesn’t feel right somehow.

Google defines a pensioner as someone who receives a pension; so I guess Grandma G is now officially a pensioner.  Yikes!

Listen to this episode on my podcast - 



If you think your friends would like this post, I’d love you to share it. 

Comments

Print