Give Thanks


Giving thanks is easy; as the saying goes, “there’s always something to be thankful for”. The hard part is consistently staying in a mindset of gratitude.

I remind myself that showing gratitude to and for others isn't that difficult. These simple acknowledgments can have a powerful effect on the recipient and the giver. A smile and a thank you cost you nothing. Feeling appreciated can change someone’s day. It can even change a life. Don’t be afraid to accept someone’s expression gratitude; say thank you, don’t overthink it.

Other countries celebrate Thanksgiving on different dates, but in Canada, it is the second Monday in October. I never got used to celebrating Thanksgiving on the Monday. My family came from far away, and Monday was their travel day, so we always had our feast on Sunday.

Thanksgiving has been celebrated since the 1500s. It is a nice, peaceful holiday with fewer expectations than other occasions such as Christmas, birthdays or Easter. There are no gifts to buy, it is just good food and enjoying each other‘s company and hopefully nice weather.

I don’t know if it’s just me, but fall seems especially beautiful this year. October is always a crapshoot as far as weather goes, it can be warm and sunny, or it could be snowing. If you’re travelling in Canada for Thanksgiving, pack your shorts and your winter coat.

I’m not going to lie; I suck at decorating. I have a little pumpkin man dancing on the windowsill and two dollar store pumpkin candle holders. That’s the extent of my decor. I prefer to enjoy the fantastic fall decor that other people create. I live vicariously through them. 

The Thanksgiving holiday traditionally signals the end of harvest, although, in Saskatchewan, it can continue into November. 

Thanksgiving may not be the most significant holiday, but it still has some awesome traditions associated with it. It’s a time to gather family and friends to mark the start of autumn and celebrate the season's food. It is the last holiday ahead of a long winter. A feast ensues with a roasted turkey gracing the centre of the table, and all things garden turned into delectable dishes; potatoes, apples, pumpkin, carrots, turnips, beets, and cabbage.

Our daughter and her husband and our son and his wife have graciously taken over hosting the big family holidays. Like my mom always said, “I’m not lazy; I’m just tired”. The Hubs and I bring stuff or chip in on things, and of course, I provide moral support to the cook. My daughter and daughter-in-law are amazing cooks so I trust these special occasions to them with no worries. Their homes are larger than ours, and the grandkids are more comfortable at home. It’s OK to let the next generation do the heavy lifting; you have to help them learn if it is important to you that traditions are carried forward.

No matter what your circumstances, try to be thankful, as everything in life is an experience that teaches us something.

Saturday, Sunday or Monday, when do you celebrate? Wherever you are this weekend, Happy Thanksgiving.

“We must find the time to stop and thank the people who make a difference in our lives.” 

John Fitzgerald Kennedy


Comments

Print