Put Your Face On

I have worn makeup since I was thirteen. I feel self-conscious leaving the house without it. Wearing even a minimal amount of makeup makes me feel more confident and energized. 

It is perfectly fine not to wear make-up if that is what you’re comfortable with; this article is based on my experiences and opinions on beauty products.

A tri-fold makeup mirror that I received for Christmas years ago with sidelights and natural light adjustment (day to evening) was a treasured gift. I felt like a movie star primping in their dressing room before a big performance. Ok, I had it set up in the spare room on a tiny table but let’s not split hairs. 


My go-to look when I was in my teens and twenties was heavy mascara and a generous amount of dark blue eyeshadow, foundation and blush. I loved that blue eyeshadow; I felt bad-ass wearing it! 

History and Purpose of Makeup 

The practice of wearing makeup goes back to the ancient Egyptians in 4000 BC. The makeup colours had certain significance, and wearing it was an indication of your social status. Cosmetics were initially worn as it was thought that it pleased the gods by enhancing the wearers spiritual worth. At one point in England, makeup was declared vulgar and an abomination by the crown and the church. It is worn now for camouflage or to enhance our appearance to ourselves and others. 



Social Pressures 

There are social pressures for men and women to look good. The cosmetic industry pulls in billions of dollars annually. Trends change, but I don’t think beauty products will ever go out of fashion. As women, we sometimes complain that men have it easy when it comes to getting ready to go out. I never really thought about it, but I guess women, through the use of makeup, have more ability to cover up their blemishes than men do. 

Influence 

Wearing makeup is one of the first things about being a woman that little girls like to emulate. A play makeup kit is a popular gift for young girls. I noticed one of my young granddaughters had play eyeshadow on in the general location of her eyes. They watch me put my face on with a great deal of interest and eagerness to sample my products and assist in the application process. If they see their grandmothers, mothers, or sisters putting make-up on, of course, they’re going to want to experiment with it.


Always Be Camera Ready

One of the few recent occasions that I went out without makeup was when I was visiting my daughter and her family in the city. To return home, I was taking a newly opened bus service. The Grans had run me hard all week, and I was exhausted and didn’t bother to put any makeup on - thinking no one I knew would see me.

My son-in-law drove me to the passenger pick-up location, and wouldn’t you know it, Wayne Mantika from CTV News was there interviewing passengers about their thoughts on the new service. My son-in-law loaded my suitcase and, after a quick hug, ghosted, leaving me cornered by Wayne. My interview ran on the evening news, and there I was with no make-up on, looking like a scrag; case in point, always be camera ready.

Signs and Causes of Aging 
  • thinning lips - from all the times we pursed our lips and held our tongues trying not to say what we really thought 
  • hooded eyes - our scalp is slowly sliding down over our face; gravity is a bitch! 
  • brown spots - hard work and good times, but sun damage 
  • drooping corners of the mouth - from worrying about other peoples crap
  • laugh lines by our eyes - laughing at our and other’s stupidity
  • forehead frown lines - the what the hell are you doing now expression wrinkles
  • crows feet by the eyes - from squinting when you give that are you kidding me look 
  • thinning eyebrows - from plucking our brows pencil-thin for decades; thank God eyebrow pencils were invented, at least you can draw those suckers back on
  • dry skin - we think we are camels and drink water only occasionally; we are shrivelling up from the inside-out 
  • dark under-eye circles - lack of adequate sleep throughout our lives due to late nights out, nighttime baby feedings, restless toddlers, roaming teenagers, a snoring partner, anxiety, menopause and Netflix binges
It's All Smoke and Mirrors

I find the expression "putting your face on”, when referring to doing one's makeup amusing as it conjures up an image of pulling on a mask. I suppose, in a sense, that is what we are doing. 

Product Ingredients

Let’s face it, despite all the talk about healthy living and natural products, we still live in a toxic world. I don’t know why, but I find that my skin has become more sensitive to products and allergens over the years. I think there are more chemicals in products now, or possibly there is a cumulative effect. 

The Egyptians made their cosmetics from ingredients, some of which were very harmful to their health like: copper, lead ore, ash, red clay and animal fat. Today I look at the list of unpronounceable ingredients in my cosmetics and briefly wonder why I am putting that on my skin, but then vanity wins out, and I keep using them and continue to buy more. 

Did you ever notice that the list of ingredients is often on the packaging, not on the product itself, so you throw the packaging out without reading the ingredients. You don’t see it when you use it every day, out of sight out of mind. It is also worth noting, though, that just because an ingredient has a long name does not mean it is harmful to you.

My Regimen

My skincare regimen is a bit complicated, but nothing fancy. I use a combination of prescription, drugstore and salon products. I am like everyone else; I have tried many products throughout the years.

I still get skin blemishes; possibly that could be seen as a positive because as long as you continue to get a few pimples, it means you have some hormones coursing through your body.

We have had a hot summer in Saskatchewan, and it’s been tough to protect our skin from the sun; sometimes I’m good, and I put sunscreen on faithfully, and other days I go out intending to stay out for a short time and end up being out for hours. It is hard to be diligent. I sunscreen my face but my arms and the back of my hands look like I’ve been out in the Sahara for six months. It’s an uphill battle for sure.

Nails 

Nails by Allesha Galloway @ Designs Edge Salon & Gift Shop, Shellbrook, SK

I have thin, brittle nails, and I was also a nail-biter. I got my first set of gel nails seven years ago, and I was hooked. During COVID, I couldn't get my nails done, but now I have them professionally done again. I was going to say that it is one of my guilty pleasures, but on second thought I don’t feel guilty about that, it makes me feel good. 

Hair

I use Unite shampoo and conditioner, and I sub in Nizoral shampoo once or twice a week to improve my scalp health.

Cosmetics 

I currently wear under-eye concealer, eye liner and brow filler, mascara and lipstick. If attending a big event like a wedding, I will add eye shadow and foundation, but I usually regret that decision. Are get my brows waxed when I get my haircut and tweeze them myself the rest of the time. I had my makeup professionally done for my daughter’s wedding, and the products they used made my face burn and itch the whole day. I guess trying new products on my face on a big day wasn’t such a good idea. I was so glad when I got home that night and wiped it all off. In the makeup artist’s defence, I use the picture from that day as my profile photo for my business, so it wasn't a total bust. For my son’s wedding, I did my own make-up, and I was much more comfortable. 

I don’t wear foundation much as I haven’t found one that doesn’t irritate my skin. I miss the old days when we got free samples of cosmetics to try before purchasing. Who remembers those tiny lipstick samples? Where were those even from? They made me happy. Cosmetics can be pricey and it’s disappointing if you buy something and find that you cannot use it.

No matter your age, every woman has different skin issues due to sun damage, if we are light or dark-skinned, have clear skin or acne, dry, oily or combination skin, freckles or redness. 

For my face, I love using Eminence Oxygenating Fizzifoliant weekly followed by their calming cream, Calm Skin Chamomile Moisturizer. The fizzofoliant has a fine, gentle texture, and the calming cream works well if you have redness from skin conditions or allergic-type reactions. I use Mary Kay mascara and Physicians Formula under-eye concealer sticks. I love the Dollorama egg-shaped makeup blending sponges. 

Moisturizers

I use body moisturizing products I make myself or something from the collection of lotions I have accumulated. I don’t know about you, but no matter how many products I have, I’m still lazy to put it on, even on the areas that need it badly, like my feet. I usually say I’m going to apply moisturizer right before I go to sleep, and then I forget. I know if I put it on my feet before that, I’ll get up to go to the bathroom and slip and break some bones. Putting lotion on seems to be right up there with drinking water in my list of neglected self-care things. Pathetically, I finally only put cream on when I see that I can write my name on my dry skin. 

Should One's Vintage Dictate Their Cosmetic Choices?

I know some people feel that our age shouldn’t dictate the makeup we wear, but seriously can we (or should we) keep the same skincare regimen at 50 or 60 that we did when we were 20? If I try to wear the same amount of foundation to even out my skin now that I did years ago, it settles in the fine lines and looks worse than if I just have moisturizer on. 

We have to work with what we have. We can’t turn back the clock. Don’t overdo but do; in other words, don’t give up. You are worth self-care no matter what age you are. I do find that simply putting on that small amount of makeup when I’m going out builds my self-esteem, and it only takes two minutes to do. I keep makeup both upstairs and downstairs, so some is always handy. 

My Makeup Tips 
  • Less is more. Subtle is better than looking like you’re trying too hard.
  • Several foundation colours are required to match our skin tone as it evolves throughout the year. Depending on the season, we either have sun-kissed, wind-whipped dry skin or the Canadian winter pasty look. So changing our makeup shade to match the season is essential not to look like a clown.
  • For a more youthful appearance, apply pink blush on your cheekbone towards your temple. Blush can make your face look lifted or shortened depending on where it is used. 
  • Subtle but noticeable lip colour can brighten up your appearance. Our lips and smile are what greets everyone we meet. Show some teeth when you smile. A smiling face looks younger and less stressed.
  • Although eye makeup can make them appear larger and younger, heavy black mascara can look harsh; brown may be an option and go easy on the eyeliner. 
  • Foundation gives your skin a more even appearance. 
  • Don’t neglect your neck and upper chest. Try to sunscreen and moisturizer those areas diligently.
  • Take your makeup off when you get home; never sleep with it on. I use the Kirkland brand face wipes from Costco, and I find these work the best for me and are economical for daily use. 
  • If you have ongoing skin issues, you don’t have to suffer needlessly. Ask your doctor to refer you to a dermatologist as the condition may be treatable. 
  • Discard and replace old makeup periodically. Each type of product has a different shelf life. I’ve been guilty of keeping beauty products for an embarrassingly long time, in fact some of it may have come from the Egyptians.  
Tools 

Like any job, if you don’t have the right tools, you can’t do the job correctly. Using clean, good-quality makeup brushes and sponges gives your makeup a well-blended, finished look with no visible makeup lines.


I think I tried to use an eyelash curler once as they have always intrigued me. I am kind of scared of them as my lashes got stuck on it, and it felt like they were about to be pulled out. 

Tips For Healthy Skin
  • don’t smoke
  • stay hydrated 
  • protect your skin from the sun
  • eat a balanced diet 
  • manage stress
  • get your beauty sleep
  • ask your health care provider about supplements for skin, hair and nail health
Inner Beauty 

I believe inner confidence and happiness radiate from certain people, and others are drawn to that. We can also exude vibes of pain, anxiety, sadness, anger, and exhaustion that make others distance themselves from us. Although many of the circumstances that cause these feelings are beyond our control, it is something to think about.

How We Treat Each Other 

Sometimes without thinking, we comment on someone’s appearance and that can deflate how they feel about themselves. They may think they look fine or feel that they did their best.

Example - A statement vs a question.  "You look tired" = you look like a wreck vs “You must be tired, you had a busy week?” which lets the other person tell you how they are doing instead of us assuming we know. 

You Are Worth It

It’s easy to get in the rut and continue to wear our makeup the same way year after year. Most of us don’t even think about it. We just keep doing the same thing. 

Although I wear makeup, I did not always feel like I deserved quality products. We spend money on so many insignificant and fleeting things, but feel it’s extravagant to spend on skincare. This is our face we are talking about; it is a reasonably significant body part. A visit to a reputable skin care clinic for a consultation to see if problem areas can be addressed may provide a long-term solution to years of trying to cover up the problem with products.

Work on accepting the physical changes that will inevitably occur. If you like wearing makeup, don’t stop as you age; instead, adjust your regimen as needed. These tips are mere suggestions, do what makes you feel good about yourself.


Comments

Print