Second Summer


Rereading my 2020 summer end post, Bubble Summer, it was interesting to review what I wrote a year ago. I smiled as I reflected on the things we did, the places we went, and how much the grandkids changed. They are now twelve, six, three and two years old.

In this second summer since the pandemic began the term “bubble” wasn't used and I hope not to hear it again. We moved on to discussing the variants of the virus.

Record breaking temperatures fanned out across the country this summer. In some areas, it hadn’t been that hot since the 1930s and 40s. Then one day in mid-august, the switch flipped, and it felt like fall and stayed cooler after that. It was very dry, so we didn't have many thunderstorms, but we did have one substantial wind storm that sent our barbeque flying off the deck and the patio chairs airborne. In Saskatchewan, we pride ourselves on thriving through a prairie winter but throw some serious heat at us in the summer and we wilt. OK, maybe we don’t thrive, but we survive.

The Hubs’ mom turned 90 in August and she was happy to celebrate her family.


When the pandemic started I found it hard to stay home; now I feel uneasy going out to public gatherings. We visited our kids and we hosted family from Alberta. Some events did restart, such as farmer’s markets, festivals and Rider football games.  



We took our boat out on May 30 for its maiden voyage of the season. In our north-central part of the province, we are fortunate to be surrounded by lakes. We made day trips to Emerald Lake and Iroquois Lake with family and friends. 

In early June, to celebrate our fortieth wedding anniversary, we rented a cabin on Cowan Lake, located near Big River, SK. Our daughter and son-in-law joined us for a couple of nights. The weather was nice, and we were able to sit outside and enjoy evening campfires. We caught some fish and enjoyed a fish fry, and the sunsets were incredible. The Hubs and I drove to nearby lakes, including Nesslin, to scope out sites for future adventures. 

The Hubs likes to get up early, so he’s usually outside communing with nature before I get up. He decided to try his hand at fishing off the dock; I was up by then and was puttering around the kitchen. I glanced up and there he was standing in the window proudly holding a fish up to show me. Every morning he came back with a story about the creatures he ran into: a cat in our boat, an otter and her pups swimming out from under the dock and a duck and her ducklings bobbing about. 



July found us back at Cowan Lake for our annual family camping trip. The weather was hot and beautiful. Due to the fire ban, we were not allowed to make campfires. I was happy to see a propane fire table there, and we spent evenings sitting around it visiting. There was a lot of algae in the lake this year, so we went to Delaronde Lake to swim, tube, picnic and play on the beach. Delaronde Lake is approximately a half-hour drive from where we were staying at Cowan Lake, so it wasn’t far, and we got to explore and enjoy another beautiful Saskatchewan lake. We drove around the lake and found shallow spots along the shore to get off and walk around, looking at shells and rocks. 










We also spent many summer afternoons and evenings barbecuing and relaxing in our yard. I love a good staycation! 


Summer is now a wrap and even though I feel a bit sad, I have turned my gaze to autumn to see what it has to offer. I am so thankful for summer’s gift of these amazing memories.  

I attempted to write a poem about summer, here it is in all it’s splendour.

My Summer Poem
Second Summer Podcast

In October I bask in autumn’s beauty, 
my heart filled with summer’s memories. 

In November autumn’s splendour is blanketed in white. 
We pause to remember.

In December, the wintry days are short and the cold nights long, 
I am thankful for the sparkle of Christmas lights.

In January you feel far away,
the glitter off the freshly fallen snow brightens the days.

In February I long to go to a tropical beach. 
Visions of sun, sand and surf fill my dreams. 

By March I am hopeful that you are just around the corner,
then it snowed.

In April there is hope, the days lengthened, 
then it snowed. 

In May, I am excited you are so near,
greenhouses and planting.
New life burst forth all around.

In June, you officially arrive,
The sun stays up late,
The wind blows.

In July, we fill every moment,
clinging to each ray of sunshine. 
Sun, boating and beaches,
We pray for rain,
The wind blows.

August brings garden bounty and wasps,
A meagre, early harvest.

In September your light fads into autumn, feeding geese honk as they fly overhead,
Leaves change colour and gently float to the ground.


Goodbye for now summer, it’s been a blast! 


Comments

Yvette Bon said…
What an amazing idea to remember the year that has just passed!
I Love this!

Print