The Deadliest Animal | How to Survive

Do you know what the deadliest animal to humans on earth is? Millions of people around the globe become ill from mosquito-borne diseases every year. I was surprised to learn that this little creature could cause so much heartache and suffering. It is sad to note that the next on the list of creatures that present the most significant danger to humans is other humans. 

The word mosquito is Spanish for “little fly.” Diseases spread by mosquitoes vary by location and species. Mosquitoes spread the Zika virus, Dengue, Malaria, West Nile virus and Yellow fever.

When I was younger, I suffered terrible reactions to insect bites, but I don’t react as much anymore. A perk of getting older, maybe? Mosquitoes love people with Type O blood, which I am fortunate enough to have. 

Ways to protect yourself from mosquitoes:
  • Cover up exposed skin when in heavily infested areas
  • Use insect repellent or natural sprays and lotions 
  • Wear light coloured clothing
  • Keep your grass cut 
  • Empty standing water in your yard 
  • Keep babies and small children protected with stroller netting and lightweight clothing 
  • Read my article 8 Container Gardening Tips to learn what plants may repel mosquitoes 
Mosquitoes are insects, which are a part of the animal kingdom. There are over 3000 species of mosquitoes. The lifespan of an adult mosquito is 42 to 56 days for females and ten days for males. 

A mosquito injects two tubes into us, one to release an enzyme that inhibits blood clotting and the other to suck blood. It is the females that bite humans as they need the protein from blood to produce eggs. Nectar is the food source for both male and female mosquitoes.

They use the carbon dioxide that is exhaled, body odours and temperature, and movement to hone in on their victims. They can sense our presence from seventy-five feet away. Mosquitoes are most active at dusk and dawn when temperatures are cooler, and there is less wind. Mosquitoes are not strong flyers, so the use of a fan may provide some relief. 

Mosquitoes do have their place in the food chain. They are a reliable source of food for animals such as birds, dragonflies and frogs.

In utter desperation, I have tried every bug bite treatment known to man over the years. 

Here is a list of what works for me:
  • Applying a paste made with baking soda and water 
  • Dabbing on lavender essential oil
  • Icing the affected area
  • Rubbing on After Bite or as I call it my trusty bug stick 
What methods do you use to protect yourself and your family from mosquito bites? Please share what works for your family? 

Thanks for reading. 
If you like this post,  
I’d love you to share it.  


©️Copyright 2020 Norma Galambos 

Thanks

Comments

Unknown said…
Hi Norma! Great article again! My hubby is a mosquito magnet too and swears by DEET. My sister however swears by Listerine - the regular gold-coloured one. My hubby uses After Bite and refills with plain ammonia, which works for him. If I have a bite, which is rare (I benefit from my hubby’s proximity), I only get a small bump which itches for about half an hour and then goes away. Fly bites are a different and much more serious matter - a horsefly bite will send my hubby to bed for the day.

Print