3 Years of Writing | Helpful Tips


I have no idea whether writing for three years makes me qualified to give advice (you are probably thinking that hasn’t stopped you before), but here goes. 

My favourite subjects in school were English and History, no surprises there. When I retired from full-time employment, I wrote children's stories for a few years but hadn’t thought about writing beyond that.

While browsing online, I noticed an article about blogging, and I started one on the spur of the moment. I was hooked. I wrote down the names of ten people that I thought might read my blog (I still have that list). I keep it because when I get discouraged, I look at it, and am reminded of how far I have come. 

Doing anything that impulsive was out of character for me, but I felt drawn in that direction. I wouldn’t recommend doing it this way, but in my case if I had thought about it too long I’m sure I would’ve talked myself out of it.

I wrote every day for months; I had so many stories to tell. Memories came to the surface, and one question led to another. I wrote 145 stories about my family history, Saskatchewan history and opinion pieces about the everyday struggles we face.

Apparently, multi-topic/niche blogs like mine are great as a hobby but less so as a business. Three years in and I still can’t decide on one niche that fits everything I want to write about. Not everyone fits into a mold, and that’s fine. Don’t let these boundaries discourage you; instead focus on the quality of your content.

My sister found a farm story that I had written and given to our dad for his birthday thirty years ago. I had long forgotten doing that. Dad, as was his way, didn’t say much to me about it at the time, and I thought it had been discarded. It was touching that he had kept the story. 

Over the last three years, I have started other projects. I feel it is good to have variety; it is the spice of life, after all. That first short blog post evolved into a podcast, freelance writing for magazines and an online business. I’m not going to lie; it was exciting to see my freelance work published and to receive payment for my efforts. 

Benefits of Writing
  • keeps your mind active
  • improves memory and concentration 
  • relieves stress and anxiety 
  • promotes connections with new people
  • is a powerful therapeutic outlet 
  • allows your creativity to flourish
More Than Meets The Eye

Soon after I naively set off on the writing path, I realized a lot more work was involved than I had initially imagined and a substantial time commitment is required. I hope you look good in a hat because you will need to wear many, including:
  • website designer 
  • researcher 
  • content creator
  • graphic designer
  • editor
  • photographer 
  • technical advisor
  • marketer
  • social media manager
Recording History 

If you want to write history-based material, don’t wait, as the previous generation slips away faster than you think. Sure, you can find out information through research, but there is nothing like physically being with someone as they share the experiences that shaped their lives. 

It makes me sad that I didn’t take more interest in people close to me who had so much to share. Those opportunities are lost to me now. There are others in my community that I wish I would have spoken with about their life stories. Hindsight is always 20-20.

Choosing A Platform For Your Blog

Free sites work fine but keep in mind that you get what you pay for as they provide minimal support for any issues that arise. 

Take note of which sites host your favourite blogs. It also depends on how you want to use your site; if it’s writing for enjoyment or if you want to turn it into a business. The tricky part is that when you start out you may not think that you will ever turn it into a business, but plans can change. I have published blogs on both Blogger and Word Press. 

Choosing a Name and Brand Logo 

Carefully thinking about the name and logo for your site in advance is easier than changing it once it is established. It takes a long time for people to recognize you and your brand, so this is a big decision. Things can change, though, and the name of your blog may no longer be in line with its content. Some people decide to leave a blog as is and begin writing a new one. 

Blog Design

Every detail matters, including: 
  • colour pallets
  • spacing
  • font styles and sizes 
  • white space
  • keywords you use in the description 
  • pictures and art choices 
Research

Depending on the topic, research for a story can take many hours. You can consult history books, online data and talk to people who know the subject.

Post Titles

Readers' attention spans are incredibly short, so you need something to attract their attention up front. Writers can get so wrapped up in the content of a story that they don’t think about the importance of the title. Words and numbers that you use in your titles can make the difference between it being read or passed by.

The Process

The more you write, the better you become. Carry a pen and paper, or have a section in your phone notes where you can jot down ideas on the fly. Journaling is an excellent way to improve your writing and preserve ideas even if you aren’t able to commit to serious writing now.  

Proofread - reading your posts out loud and having someone else read them will help eliminate errors. If you stumble over words while reading your material, others will as well. Set it aside and then go back and reread it with fresh eyes. 

Content Creation 
  • what you share will be on the internet indefinitely 
  • take the time to brainstorm a stockpile of topics
  • pay attention to what those around you struggle with and are interested in as possible post ideas
  • create a calendar for post releases 
  • have completed content available in case life gets in the way 
  • post on a consistent schedule as your readers will come to expect it
  • backup your work 
  • keep work you want to publish in books, magazines, etc., off your blog until after they are published and you have the publishing rights back. Many publications will not accept work that has been previously published anywhere, including your blog.
  • it is perfectly fine, if the situation warrants, to repurpose content. New readers are continually discovering your blog, so it is good to showcase work that you have done that they may not have noticed. Plus, with the amount of work and the time commitment you have invested into each story, you want as many people as possible to see it. It is great to have some work that is evergreen (always relevant).
  • stay current, you do not necessarily need to write about world events, but it is essential to evolve and acknowledge what’s going on around you. I never know what topic is going to come up that will interest me or will be relevant; I certainly didn’t expect to be writing about living through a pandemic.
Photographs

Try to incorporate four to six photos into your posts. A post like this one isn’t as conducive to pictures as a story about a specific event or person. Placing pictures throughout the post helps break up long sections of text and keeps the readers' interest. A picture also helps to explain what you are describing. 

Personal Development
  • learn all you can about your area of interest by reading books, magazines, listening to podcasts and doing online research
  • attend pertinent seminars and workshops.
  • take courses to learn about areas that challenge you
Connect With Your Audience 
  • to build trusting relationships, let readers get to know you as a person, let them see you, hear your voice, tell them about yourself
  • respond to comments
  • encourage them to share your writing 
  • advertise your sites and market yourself as a writer
Monetization 

Bloggers can make income in various ways including through sponsorships, collaborations and advertisements.

Networking
  • reading successful blogs helps you see where you can make improvements to yours 
  • connect with other bloggers; people who can relate to what you are doing
  • social media is where you will find a lot of your followers - Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest so keep up with the technology 
Criticism  

Take criticism in stride; no one is perfect. You take a risk when you put yourself out there, but remember nothing ventured, nothing gained. If someone expects you to be perfect, that isn’t realistic. Verbal abuse and inappropriate comments do not have to be tolerated. Please don’t let others minimize your hard work. 

Don’t be shocked if the people closest to you are not your biggest supporters. It is human nature that someone else’s success makes us feel insecure or inadequate. Learn not to take it personally; it’s their issue, not yours. Social media numbers can mess with your head; I wouldn’t be truthful if I said I didn’t take notice of them. At times it can feel like grade five all over again, you’re my friend, you’re not my friend anymore or why don’t you like me. Instead, encourage yourself to keep producing high-quality content. 

Finding things in life that you are passionate about is a gift and should be treated as such; many people spend their entire lives searching for something that fulfills them. Keep searching for things you are passionate about; you will know it when you find them. The feeling is unmistakable, it is one of excitement, feeling focused, wanting to learn and not being able to tear yourself away from it. Choose things that are challenging and interesting; this will spark untapped creativity. 

Have I learned anything? Oh my gosh, I have learned so much and have been challenged in many ways. Some of it has been frustrating, and some very rewarding, but I love learning new things. It energizes me.

Year Four

In year four, I would like to:
  • do guest posting on blogs 
  • work on my Instagram Random and Ridiculous Weekend Segment videos
  • continue to publish magazine and newspaper articles
  • do more in-person research interviews
  • hone my podcast speaking and editing skills and expand the platforms it is available on. *I was recently notified that my application to join the Saskatchewan Podcast Network has been accepted. My podcast will be available on the network  starting in July. 
  • have guests on the podcast 
  • streamline my store and work on signature products
Conclusion 

Don’t try to do everything at once; expecting overnight success can set you up for disappointment. In some cases, blogs become popular very quickly, but this is not the norm. Allow time for it to grow.

My daughter, Brittany, has been my biggest supporter, she gives her honest opinion about my work before I publish it. I would not have had the courage to continue writing if not for her love and encouragement.

Thank you for following me on my writing journey; I am beyond grateful for your support. To new readers, welcome! I am thrilled to have you join us.

🔗 LINKS 🔗

The story I gave Dad all those years ago, titled,
Brown Cow | Cow Riding Not Recommended






Comments

Print