How To Protect Yourself From The Dangers Of Sun Worshipping

Ixtapa, Mexico

I recently purchased some new prescription sunglasses. I got the big Hollywood kind that protect not only your eyes, but the skin around your eyes as well. 


I try to be cautious when I am out in the sun by wearing a hat, glasses and sunscreen as often as possible. When we go on hot holidays, people sometimes comment that I don't have much of a tan when I return. I take that as a compliment that I did a good job protecting my skin. 

Years ago when I was in my teens and twenties, I was less careful. Having a tan seemed important back then. I think we even used things like baby oil to speed up the tanning process. The imagine of those foil screens that you would see women on television holding up to reflect the sun onto themselves comes to mind. 


I have sun damage on my face and body as a reminder of those poor decisions. I was never brave enough to actually get into a tanning bed so I don’t have any experience in that department. 

A person often thinks they have a handle on the sun protection they use for themselves and their children, but we often underestimate the power of the sun. When I think back to some of the times I let myself get sunburnt, I wonder what in the world I was thinking. Summer is so short in Saskatchewan that when it finally comes we want to soak up every moment of it. 

The sales of suntanning, sun-blocking and sun-repairing products are big business. Sunscreen, what is in it? Is it safe? At times, a person doesn't know where to look for answers. How high an SPF level is enough? Are lotions, foams or sprays the best option? 

I know lots of people throw caution to the wind and say we only live once and that is your personal choice. As a farmer who spent long days in the sun, my Dad eventually developed skin cancer on his ear. Seeing that kind of freaked me out, it was an eye opener.

How to Protect Your Skin from Sun Damage
  • Wear a hat
  • Wear sunglasses
  • Use sunscreen 
  • Throw on some light weight clothing over your tank top or bathing suit before a burn occurs
  • Be mindful of how long you have been out in the sun and when you last applied sunscreen 
  • Set a timer on your phone to remind yourself to reapply sunscreen on your kids if they are going to be out for a long period of time
  • Alternate between sun and shade 
  • Keep in mind that you can still get burned on cloudy days and wind burned on blustery days
I don’t think it is ever too late to start protecting yourself from the sun. We can only start from where we are at, we can’t turn back the clock. 

Don’t forget to share this post. Thank you so much!


ADDITIONAL LINKS By Norma Galambos ⬇️




©️Copyright 2020 Norma Galambos 




Thank you so much!

Comments

Print