The World of Sales | What I’ve Learned | Norma Galambos


Every experience in life teaches us something and I often encourage my readers to try new things. I have learned a lot since I began my foray into the world of sales as a home-based business owner. 

Starting a small business sounded like an excellent idea. How hard could it be? Running your own business differs from working for an organization or another person. If you are the sole owner/operator, then the success or demise of the business falls solely on you. 

When you’re marketing a product, how much exposure is too much? At what point do people get sick of hearing from you?

I had no clue what I was doing when I started. The first trade show I went to, I took way too much stuff; I rented two tables and they were full. It was a lot of work to load and unload and set it all up. It looked like an episode from a hoarders show. I sold a few things, but at the end of the day, the table looked about the same as it had that morning. I felt a bit foolish; when it was over, I shoved my goods in my vehicle as fast I could and got out of there. I needed to regroup. 

Year 1 - hoarder episode.

Although many tradeshows were cancelled over the last two years, I was a vendor at several shows. In-person sales are challenging as I’m not comfortable approaching people with a sales pitch. After a couple of years of experience, I feel I have come a long way and am more comfortable greeting and chatting with people.

You need thick skin to be a salesperson. This experience has been an eye-opener for me, and I became aware of some habits I have that I never thought about.

You see things differently when you’re on the other side of the sales table; before I became a vendor, I never thought about all that goes into planning a function like that, one of the sales I went to had over 100 vendors.

The off the cuff remarks people make can sometimes be hurtful. Be aware of how you treat people in those passing moments that we falsely assume are insignificant. When people walk by and don’t acknowledge your existence, it can leave you feeling deflated. I mean, seriously, humour me, take my card, tell me you forgot your wallet in the car or you’re going to come back even if you don’t have any intention of doing so. Be kind, it doesn’t cost anything.

I know I’ve done this also because I’m scared that if I make eye contact, I will feel obligated to purchase something. Now when I go as a shopper, I try to look the seller in the eye, acknowledge them as a person and give a positive comment on what they’re doing even if I don’t intend to make a purchase. 

Sales Tips
  • When deciding on products to make, think about how heavy or fragile the products will be (for example, the rice therapy bags I make are heavy when you pile a bunch in a box). I learned that lesson the hard way, as I could barely lift it.
  • First impressions are crucial. If a seller looks crusty and unapproachable, doesn’t stand to greet customers, or if they’re on their phone looking disinterested, it turns them off.
  • Don’t situate yourself next to the spudnut (small donuts made with potato flour) table. 
  • Try to support other vendors, hopefully, without spending more than you make.
  • Too many items on your tables apparently overwhelms people.
I have often thought that I can't imagine doing sales like this every weekend as some do. Why do people do it? Besides the obvious of making an income or some side money, many people that I’ve run into have worked for someone else for a long time and want to be their own boss. Social people need the interaction of getting out and talking to shoppers and other vendors who can become like colleagues. 


Year 2 - better, a less crowded table.

This is going to sound kind of blunt, but if you’re looking for something cheap go to a garage sale or the dollar store. If you are interested in supporting crafters through encouraging interactions or purchases, then go to craft fairs and trade shows. The time it takes to make handmade products can't be compared to mass-produced products. 

The Perks of Self-Employment 
  • You can complain about management all you want without getting fired.
  • It’s possible to get pissed off and quit every day and be hired back the next morning with no questions asked. You don’t even have to apologize and eat crow.
  • Staff meetings are short and everyone’s in compliance with your decisions.
  • You don’t have to share the donuts with anyone at the meeting.
  • Sleeping in and then working till midnight is an option.
  • The gift of unsupervised free time - take an executive lunch to leisurely savor the meager leftovers in your fridge.
  • Stretchy pants are an acceptable wardrobe staple.
Networking with others in the vendor community is helpful, they have skills. I kid you not, some of the vendors at the sales are like swat teams, they’re in there unpacked and set up in a flash and they’re gone just as quickly when it’s over. They don’t mess around. I am just starting to pack up and they are half-way home.  

What I have learned thus far:   
  • First, thorough product research and testing are required.
  • Take feedback and use it whether it is negative or positive. 
  • Paying close attention to detail is key, aside from producing a quality product, the font-style, colours, packing, etc. that you use are important. 
  • It is simply good etiquette and respectful to the organizers to continue selling until the assigned end time of the sale.
  • You need a whole other set of skills to market your product successfully.
  • What you think is a product that everyone will love can fall flat and you have to be able to move on.
  • Sales skills are honed on the job.
  • I have learned by watching how experienced vendors display their products, how many items they bring, how they pack and transports items, and what products sell.

Year 3 - down to one table.  

To the dismay of my family, I am coming around to the idea of purchasing items from people who are trying to make a living doing it instead of buying all the ingredients and spending the time and effort doing it myself. Half the time it doesn’t even turn out and then I’m really pissed. It felt good to support other small businesses and I got delicious goodies like cookies, tarts, pie, caramel popcorn, bread, wontons and Christmas pudding. The women I purchase from are veterans of the range and I knew anything they made would be excellent, and I was right.

Small businesses are the foundation of this country and I salute you all! 


If you are curious about my handmade products, food blog, garden page, freelance writing and videos visit https://Linktr.ee/normagalamboslifestyle  
to find out more. 

Comments

Print