The Greatcoat | World War ll


Cover picture - my dad’s greatcoat

A greatcoat, also known as a watchcoat, was a woollen overcoat worn by soldiers. It was designed for warmth and protection against the elements. Its large collar could be turned out to protect the face from the cold and rain. The coat was long and had a loose draped fit to allow for mobility.

In 1941 the Pollack & Dorfman Company in Quebec was awarded the contract to make clothing and equipment for Canadian troops. 

Description stamped inside Dad’s coat

If all else failed, a greatcoat was used as a stretcher to move an injured soldier to safety. The military army green coat had six brass buttons. Canadian general service military buttons were made from 1939 to 1945. 

The country name, the King’s crown and the maple leaf were imprinted on each button. Different sized buttons were made for use on uniform pockets, shoulder straps, caps and greatcoats. The French motto on the button Honi Soit Qui Maly Pense means shame on he who thinks evil of it.

World War 11 Buttons
Button on greatcoat

Soldiers were expected to keep their uniforms looking impeccable. They polished their boots and shined their buttons. A button stick was slipped under the button when polishing it to protect the uniform fabric. 

The picture below shows my dad (third from left) waiting with other Leask soldiers to take the train back to their units after a Christmas leave in the early 1940s. 

Left to Right: Herbert Knoll, Fred Schlichemeyer, Albert Richter, Rudolf Kayfish, Victor Lalonde, Virginia Mowatt, Jock Forrester (village constable), Vern Wade


Leask C. N. R. Station 

My dad’s sister told me how upset their mom was when he left and how much my dad missed home.   My aunt was younger and still in school. She and other kids would walk to the train station at lunchtime to watch the soldiers come and go. 

Typically, our attention would be on the soldiers, but for those left behind, crossing the days off on the wall calendar, time moved slowly. I imagine the absolute joy and relief my grandmother must have felt when her son returned home and the cold fear that would have surely gripped her heart when it was time for him to leave.

Dad with fellow soldiers. 

These photos were taken while the men were training in Canada. When I look at them, my mind is filled with questions that will forever remain unanswered. Looking at their young faces and strong bodies I wonder how the lives of the other soldiers in the photo unfolded once they were discharged from the army? Where was the Elite Cafe that is shown in one of the pictures? What became of Dad's uniform? 

The men in these photos were born approximately one hundred years ago and have most likely all passed on now.   Feelings of trepidation and homesickness would have been heavy on their hearts, but I also see a great sense of pride, patriotism and camaraderie.

This week I pause to remember those who sacrificed for the freedom my family and I enjoy today.

If you like this story, I’d love you to share it. 




Print