Endless Summer | Not So Much


Looking out the window, I caught a glimpse of a golden leaf falling lazily to the ground. I instantly felt a sense of dread, disappointment and regret. Every year we have four seasons. It's not like I didn't know a change of season was coming. 

I look forward to summer so much and can't help feeling let down when it ends. Whoever coined the term endless summer obviously didn’t live in Saskatchewan. Summer here is a fleeting creature. As soon as we reach the longest day in June the glass is half empty people burst my bubble by commenting that the days are getting shorter. The weather wasn't the greatest this year. Camping trips were disappointing for many as we had our share of cool, windy and wet days.

My flower gardens and pots were a little behind, but in the end they looked nice. Looking at them brings me joy. Now the fallen leaves are starting to snuggle up to my plants. 

We put so much pressure on ourselves to have a good summer that we never feel like we did enough. We didn’t build enough campfires or sit outside as many evenings as we could have. We didn't get out on the boat, go to the beach or go fishing enough. We build expectations so high in our minds. In our case, it doesn't matter that the days are getting shorter as we can't stay up late enough to sit by a campfire anyway. 

I feel unsettled when the seasons change, especially those in-between seasons: fall and spring. In the fall it isn't time for winter activities yet, but it's too cool to do summer things; in the spring winter activities have ended, but it isn't warm enough to do summer stuff. 

I must admit though, it does feel good to get back on a schedule and be more productive. It is good to have things planned to keep busy once summer is over. 

There is beauty in every season and fall is no exception. A low flying flock of geese flew over as we were having supper on the deck. I could hear their powerful wings flapping. The mosquitoes appear to be gone and the fall colours are breathtaking. 

We had a good summer regardless of the weather; we saw the grandchildren, went to a wedding, took an extended fishing trip, fished on lakes around home and relaxed on the boat. I really enjoyed the trip I took to Alberta and British Columbia. 

Soon it will be time to put the yard to bed for the season; clean everything up, and put away the pots, furniture, lights and ornaments. It feels like I just put them out. 

I know I said in my new year’s post that one of the things I wanted to work on this year was embracing the changing seasons. It remains a struggle. Fall and I haven't embraced as lovers do, it's more of an awkward, unwanted hug, but I am trying.


     Lumsden, SK     9/13/2019


Craik



   North Saskatchewan River         


Blaine Lake     


Leask

Thanks for reading!

Print