Siblings, Peaches and Wine | Grandma G Has Left the Village Series

Central Alberta

My sister-in-law and niece asked me if I wanted to go on a trip to British Columbia with them this summer. I thought about it for a few minutes and said, “I’m in”. It didn’t take much to persuade me. 

On a rainy July day, I boarded a plane in Saskatoon heading for Calgary.  My brother, sister-in-law and niece picked me up at the airport and we travelled through Canmore, Alberta and spent the night in Golden, British Columbia.

We enjoyed a few days visiting near Nakusp and then continued to Penticton and Kelowna. 

On our trip we walked a boardwalk through giant cedars, visited an enchanted forest and hiked mountain trails. Relaxing in a hot spring at Nakusp and a sauna and hot tub at a mountain resort soothed our travel weary bodies.


Giant Cedars Boardwalk
Mount Revelstoke National Park 




Enchanted Forest
Revelstoke 

When we were in Kelowna in 2003, my daughter and I found amazing, sun-warmed peaches at an outdoor market and stood there eating them with the juice running down our chins. I have been back in that area three times since but have never found peaches as good as those. My quest to find the perfect peach on each visit has become a family legend. Luckily, this year I found some perfect peaches. The memory of the smell and taste of those peaches will tie me over until I return. 


The Perfect Peach 
Kelowna

I never get tired of looking at the lush plants and trees in British Columbia. The Linden Gardens near Penticton were breathtaking. We enjoyed a delicious lunch on the patio there at the Frog City Cafe. 

The weather was hot and observing the different terrain from Saskatchewan through Alberta and into British Columbia was interesting.



With my brother Merv
Linden Gardens, Kaleden


100-year old structure 
Kaledon Hotel

During our two-week vacation, we sampled cheese, chocolate, nectarines, cherries, a variety of berries and of course peaches. We went to coffee shops, markets, gift shops and art galleries. Swims in Arrow Lake, Skaha Lake, Lake Okanagan and floating down the Okanagan River Channel in Penticton cooled us off when the +30 temperatures made the sand too hot to walk on.

We had fun touring an old mission in Kelowna and a ghost town and train museum at Three Valley Gap. I love learning about the historical aspect of places and things.

One glorious day involved vineyards with grapes hanging lazily from their vines, sampling wine at a winery and a leisurely lunch at a little barbecue joint in Naramata called Bongo BBQ. 


A vineyard at a winery in Naramata 

Our journey took us through parts of Banff, Glacier, Yoho and Mount Revelstoke National Parks.  We used the ferry system to cross the waterways, and we drove the winding highways with the mountains looming above and the diamond reflection of the sun's rays glistening off the lakes.


Shelter Bay Ferry 
Arrow Lake


Kalamalka Lake

On the way home we stayed at a mountain lodge at Golden, visited beautiful Emerald Lake near Field and drove to Red Deer via Rocky Mountain House. I spent two nights in Red Deer with my brother’s family and then my sister-in-law drove me to Lloydminster where I caught a bus to Saskatoon. The Hubs picked me up in Saskatoon and we returned to the village. It was quite a journey. 





Heather Mountain Lodge
Golden, British Columbia


Emerald Lake, Field
Yoho National Park

I am so grateful for the opportunity to spend time with family, to enjoy nature and experience new things. I treasure the time spent with my brother, sister and their families as we don’t see each other often. When siblings live far from each other it is important to keep in touch and maintain a connection because relationships can easily slip away. Parents are usually the glue that bonds a family. Once they are gone or no longer have their own homes, what holds an adult family together? It isn't always easy; there are five siblings in my family with a twenty-three-year age gap between my oldest brother and my younger sister and we live in three different provinces.


With my sister Delores
in Kelowna


Family Time in Kelowna


My great-nieces
Boyce-Gyro Beach 
Kelowna - Lake Okanagan 

When a vacation draws to a close your mind is quickly overtaken by thoughts of the commitments you are returning to. Once it's over you hit the ground running with ideas for your next adventure brewing in the back of your mind.  


Home Sweet Home
Saskatchewan 

Once I returned to the flatlands of central Saskatchewan there was less traffic and no curving mountain roads. I didn't have to hang on to the holy sh.. handle in the vehicle anymore. I could see for miles across the open prairie. The canola crops had finished blooming and the barley and wheat were turning a golden colour. 

I hope you were able to get out and make some memories this summer.  

Thank you for reading! 

Print