Summer | What Do You Talk About?


Oh summer, I have waited for you for so long. I missed you in the fall and yearned for you in the winter. I awaited your arrival in the spring like a long-anticipated visit from an old friend. The first glorious days of summer are upon us. 

Summer 2018 was busy with our son and daughter-in-law's wedding, retirement and birthday celebrations and the birth of a new granddaughter. We camped at Crooked Lake in southern Saskatchewan and boated on beautiful northern lakes that are within an hours drive from our home, including Iroquois, Memorial, Emerald, Big Shell, and Martins Lake. I attended a street fair in Shellbrook and one in Regina. We visited the Lumsden Corn Maze and took the kids to the park and enjoyed backyard barbecues. We sampled fresh herbs and garden vegetables and raspberries with cream. 

I am excited to see what adventures this summer will bring and to share them with you.

I should never complain about the weather, especially in the summer, but I must in good conscience confess that I sometimes complain. Is it a worldwide phenomenon or is it just Canadians that are obsessed with talking about the weather? We are a hard lot to please when it comes to the perfect day - we can almost always find a flaw. It is either too cold, hot, windy, dry, wet, humid, foggy, dusty or smoky.

For most Canadians when we are planning to do something outdoors the first thing we do is check the forecast.  We say things like: “we’ll have to see what the weather does”; “it depends on the weather”; “we’ll see what the weatherman says” or “if the weather cooperates”.  I get frustrated that everything in my life seems to be depended on the weather in some way.  

What else would we talk about if not for the weather. In countries where you have day after day of beautiful weather, what do you talk about? Wait, I know, you say “did you see the weather forecast for Canada?”

One winter when I was at a vacation destination someone asked me where I was from. I said Saskatchewan and they said, “sorry to hear that”. I was taken aback and didn’t know how to reply.

Upon further reflection, given that moment back, I would have said Saskatchewan is a beautiful province with wide open spaces, peaceful forests, pristine lakes, blue skies, warm springs, hot summers, beautiful autumn colours and sparkling white winters.  I will be ready with my answer next time.  The weather is such a versatile topic. You can talk about the weather with friends and strangers alike. I guess that is why we are comfortable talking about it ALL THE TIME.

Like it, share it.

Listen to this episode on my Podcast Link

Visit  Gift Shop

Thank you for reading! 

Comments

Print