Canada Day | Sas-katch-e-wan


Canada Day, Are Canadians patriotic?, Saskatchewan,

What does it mean to be Canadian?

On July 1, 1867, the British North American Act created Canada. This date has become Canada’s national holiday when Canadians show their pride in their history, culture and achievements. Through the years we have attended many picnics, fireworks, parades and sport’s days on July 1. 

My dad had been in the army and was a proud Canadian, but patriotism wasn’t something I remember discussing. We didn’t celebrate Canada Day on the farm. We were born and raised as Canadians period. Why was a party required to acknowledge that fact?

The Hubs and I are both second-generation Canadians. As an adult, I have always found Canada Day to be a relaxing, happy holiday. There are no major expectations: no gifts to buy, special baking to do, decorations to put up or turkey to cook. We go to the lake, throw something on the grill, and kick back with family and friends enjoying the day. If the weather is good, we attend the fireworks, which makes the occasion more festive.

Someone from another country once commented that I said the word Saskatchewan very fast.  I hadn’t noticed that until they pointed it out to me. I listened intently, leaning in, waiting patiently for them to finish sounding out all four syllables Sas-katch-e-wan.  I commented that if they had to say Saskatchewan every day of their lives, they’d pick up the pace. As a flatlander from the prairies, I am possibly more attached to my province than the country as a whole.

I am a proud Canadian. To me Canada Day is an opportunity to celebrate the freedom we enjoy, the natural splendour of our country and to acknowledge those that sacrificed so that we have these privileges.

I politely refuse to apologize for drinking Vi-Co while wearing a bunny hug.


Happy 152nd birthday Canada!

I want to wish my American followers and everyone from countries around the world who celebrate their independence in July a happy and relaxing celebration.  

Like It: Share It.
Have a big, fun day!

This post is available on my Podcast Link



Comments

Print