Softball | Put Me In Coach

Leask Hornet’s Reunion 2005 


You can listen to this episode on my Podcast

The Hubs loved softball and played with the Leask Hornets for almost twenty years. I never played on a ball team; I couldn't catch a ball to save my soul. My older brother desperately wanted someone to play catch with and, much to his chagrin, I was his only option on the farm. He would get me to stand in front of the garage at the farm and all I remember is the sound of the ball hitting the wooden door behind me as I consistently missed the ball. My eyes would blink a mile a minute and my arms would be up protecting my head, so there wasn’t much chance that I was going to catch any balls.

In school gym class I had no choice but to participate in the ball game. I headed as far out in the field as I could go and still be in the village limits. When it was my turn at bat, I was certain beyond a shadow of a doubt that I was about to be maimed.

I am unsure of where my pitiful softball skills originated as I come from a line of ballplayers. My dad played ball in the army in the 1940s and I have his glove which I keep in my treasure trove. 


I enjoyed watching The Hubs and our kids play ball. I spent many hours sitting on the bleachers baking in the sun or wrapped in a blanket; often on the same day.  He coached both the kids' ball teams through the years once he was no longer playing himself. 






Our kids played ball here in Leask and our son played on a team in Shellbrook, which is about twenty minutes away, and made many life-long friends there.

We had great times travelling the prairies with various ball teams. In addition, we went to tournaments in Lethbridge, Chauvin and Lloydminster, Alberta; Winnipeg, Manitoba; Plentywood, Montana and Minot, North Dakota. 

We met great people through those teams and had a lot of laughs.  The kind of laughs that live on for decades. Every tournament we went to was a new adventure, you couldn't even try and predict what type of shenanigans would happen. 

Being a part of a team as a player, parent or fan is a great learning experience. The Gran has now taken up the game and her parents are coaching. I sure hope she can catch better than me!  

Like it, share it! 
Lived it? Comment! 

Visit  Gift Shop



Comments

Anonymous said…
I am glad to have many of these memories in my life too. I still often flip through old ball photos from dad and Brian's playing days. And than of us kids too. Winning provincials with two veteran Hornets as my coach's is something I will cherish always.
This was a good read Norma!

Print