Mother’s Day | Traits We Inherit


Mother’s Day traits we inherit Grandma G My Journey Into Retirement Mothers wisdom

The older I get the more I look back and contemplate who I am. I inherited physical traits such as the sound of my voice, the color of my eyes and hair and my height from my parents. 

Like my mom, I am a compassionate person with a calm nature. I am a trusted confidante to those close to me. I like to think that I inherited her organizational skills, sense of humor, quick wit and intuitive ability to read people.

I am always learning new things from my mom, but there are things I wish I would have taken the time to learn from her long ago. Sewing, knitting, crocheting, bread making and speaking French are a few of those things. Mom is very intelligent; she was Dad’s partner in running the farm. She understood all the aspects of the farming industry.

Why do we have an interest in learning certain things from our parents and are completely disinterested in other things? Are we programmed from birth to be attracted to certain interests? How much of who we are is learned and what is genetic? 

We don't get a do over in life, so there is no point in looking back with regret. Instead, I am thankful for the unique talents I was blessed with and the skills I learnt along the way. 

Mom taught me to cook and I liked to listen to her tell stories and read to us.  She instilled in me a love for the written word and a keen interest in history and current world events. I share her passion for gardening and the beauty in nature.

My mother-in-law and I met in 1976 and I have learnt a lot from her over the years. At eighty-seven she taught me to sew some simple projects. There is hope for us all. This goes to show that you are never too old to learn, but more importantly you are never too old to teach. 

 My mother-in-law and my mom 
Left to right 2019

Our children were very fortunate to have their grandparents living close when they were growing up.  They helped us a lot with the kids and in return got a great deal of joy watching them grow up to be good people.

I know that I am extremely lucky this Mother’s Day as many of my friends grieve for their moms. I am blessed to have these strong women in my life and am so grateful they have shared their knowledge with me. Wisdom is a hard-earned legacy that should be shared. I also consider my best friend, who happens to be my daughter, as one of these strong women. Her and my daughter-in-law are awesome mothers who are smart, creative and compassionate. 

2019 daughter & granddaughters 


2022



I would like to wish my mom, mother-in-law, daughter, daughter-in-law and mothers and mother-figures everywhere a Happy Mother's Day.  

Take a minute to think about the gifts that have been passed on to you. Don’t hesitate to tap into the wisdom of those close to you.

Like this post, share it!




Comments

Chris said…
Well said Norma, I wish I had your great way of articulation. I’m asked to say something at church tomorrow about my mom. I don’t know how to put into words how full my heart is when I think of her and all that she taught me.
You have your first sentence written right there. Go from there, you will do awesome! You and your Mom were so close.

Print