Alberta Camping Adventure | Part Two | Bear Country


Last week in part one of this camping series I told you about our adventures on the first leg of our trip. After we left Sylvan Lake we drove to a campsite at Saskatchewan River Landing. It was closed so we kept driving until we saw Thompson Creek Campground was open and we booked in for the night.

My brother and his wife were seasoned campers, with no children yet, they were like a SWAT team and had their state of the art equipment set up in no time flat.  We struggled with the old army tent, our overabundance of gear and two kids.

The sites were very far apart and we felt like we were out there in the bush alone.  The Hubs' bear fears had only increased after we were told the other campsite was closed due to bear problems. He decided to build a huge campfire to keep the bears away.

Unfortunately for me, I had just read an article about the dangers of having an unattended campfire close to your tent at night.  Everyone was sleeping and I was lying awake watching the outline of the campfire through the tent wall, fearing we would go up in flames at any minute.

As luck would have it, I had to go outside to use the bathroom. I got out there and started doing my business with my back to the fire.  At that moment a log fell in the fire and scared me so bad that I shot up and dove back into the tent. I thought the log falling in the fire was a bear sneaking up on me.

It was so warm and beautiful during the day, but when night fell, it was freezing. Our sleeping bags were too thin and my air mattress pillow went flat.  It felt like my legs were frozen solid from the knees down. It was every man for himself at that point. I glanced over at our sleeping children and slid a few of their covers my way.  They were too tired to notice. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

In the morning, I stepped out of the tent and looked up at the incredible view of the Canadian Rockies and it took my breath away. The site of those massive mountains towering over me reminded me not to sweat the small stuff. I could feel a sense of release in my soul at that moment.

We packed up again and headed on to our next destination. I asked my brother and his wife if they were cold the night before and they said no, they had a great sleep.

Join me on the blog or podcast next week for Alberta Camping Adventure: Part Three: Jasper.

If you think your friends would like this post, I'd love you to share it. Thanks.

Listen to Alberta Camping Adventure: Part One: Sylvan Lake on my  Podcast Link

Listen to this episode -Alberta Camping Adventure: Part Two: Bear Country on my



Comments

Print