When Healthy Eating Goes South | How to Get Back on Track

baby boomers, retirement, eating healthy, weight loss

Weight loss wasn’t included in my New Year’s post, I couldn’t put that on my list again this year.  I feel it is time to progress, step forward and focus on different things in 2019. 

It is still lurking in the back of my mind though, and I thought it was possibly on your mind also. I want to share my thoughts on this issue before I move on.


Over the years, I have tried many diets and spent my fair share on products with all sorts of fabulous sounding claims. Even now, I still get carried away and buy something that I think will be the next quick fix.

I have good intentions, I really do, but when I see apples, I picture apple pie; bananas as muffins with chocolate chips; cucumbers slathered in a rich creamy dressing; potatoes with gravy or cauliflower dripping with cheese sauce. Carrots turn into a cake with luxurious cream cheese frosting and zucchini into chocolate brownies. Tomatoes and peppers are nestled under a thick layer of cheese and pepperoni on a pizza. When I look at healthy foods in their original state I don’t say “oh goodie I want to eat that”.

Should I be faulted for being a culinarian? That is how my mind works. I feel guilty throwing food away. I try to give it a second life. I ate a bunch of vegetables the other day and then I had a tummy ache and I lamented “my body was not made to eat this healthy stuff”.  I don't know if I will ever love plain fruits and veggies, but I keep trying.

It is all very confusing to me. There is gluten free, sugar free, high fat, low fat, high protein and diet plans where you only eat a certain food. So called experts suggest you should cleanse this or that. They advise taking a mile-long list of supplements.


Then there is the whole carb issue, oh the carbs. I was raised eating fresh bread, buns, pie, cereal and potatoes. I honestly don’t think I can give them up completely, but I am trying to eat carbs in moderation. Some days I am successfully and other days not so much. At the end of each day I remind myself that tomorrow is another day with new strength and new thoughts.

Some days I feel like my head will blow off if I see another diet option, but the next day dawns and there I am reading up on a new plan. When I think about all the time I have spent reading about and stressing over this it makes me feel a little sad that is what I spent those moments. All the diet information we are bombarded with can drag on our lives and make us feel negative towards ourselves.

I applaud those individuals who stuck to their healthy food and exercise plan over the holidays and didn’t eat themselves into an almond bark coma. In truth, I dislike you just a little bit for that, but I will recover nicely from that jealous, self-loathing lapse in character.

I know I feel better, in so many ways, when I watch what I consume, eat smaller portions and am more physically active. I need to continue to tell myself that I am worth the effort. 

How do you motivate yourself to keep fighting this exhausting battle year in year out?


If you like this post, I'd love you to share it. 

Listen to my New Year’s Episode -“Sage Souls - What I am Learning on my Journey”  @ Podcast Link 

Comments

Print