Tired Tuesday | Monday Got a Bad Rap


The third Monday of January or Blue Monday is apparently the most depressing day of the year. This only applies to the fortunate souls living in the Northern Hemisphere because of our weather patterns. To top it off there is often a full moon.


Why do we hear about this every year?  I always thought that it was because the holiday glow had worn off and we were left feeling lousy because we had overindulged ourselves in every possible way.  The numbers on the credit card statement and the scale were both up.

Well, now I find out that this idea originated from an advertisement a travel company did to convince people to book a winter vacation.  Pretty ingenious if you ask me.

We all heard this news and thought it had some scientific basis and we were convinced of the validity of this concept. 

The power of suggestion. If we expect something to happen a certain way, our expectations play a major roll in how things play out.

One of the perks of retirement is that if I am at home for a couple of days in a row, I forget which day of the week it is. There is a good chance that Blue Monday could pass me by before I realize it. It is great to get the most miserable day of the year out of the way right off the hop.  It should be smooth sailing after that, shouldn’t it?

When I was working full-time, Tuesday was my worst day, not Monday. Poor Monday always got a bad rap. I usually felt wiped out physically and mentally on Tuesday. I called the dreaded day Tired Tuesday.  Now I see a study conducted by the London School of Economics that concurs with my feelings about Tuesday. I knew it!

You probably lay awake needlessly Sunday nights stressing about getting up for work Monday morning, but it is Tuesday that you must watch out for.

Sunday night tell yourself you don't need to fret about Monday and go to sleep. It should be Monday night that you are laying awake worrying, but by then you are too tired to remember this warning about Tuesday and you will sleep like a baby both nights, problem solved.

If the power of suggestion can implant negative thoughts in our minds, then technically we should be able to replace those thoughts with positive ones. Why are negative thoughts more powerful?

First, we need to be mindful and recognize negative thinking, which usually involves dwelling on the past or worrying about the future. Second, replace that thought with something positive and repeat it often. Replace fear with hope. For me personally, I use humour as a coping mechanism in difficult situations.

The days are starting to get longer in Saskatchewan. We pin our hopes on an early spring but brace ourselves for a few blizzards between now and then. Each winter is about the same; we survive and are so happy when we feel that warm spring sunshine on our faces.

What will you be doing on Blue Monday to make it through?

LIKE IT? SHARE IT!

Listen to this episode on my @ Podcast Link


Comments

Print