I Love Winter, I Love Winter | Trying to Convince Myself


Canadian winters, Saskatchewan, winter activities

The struggle is real - trying to convince myself to love and embrace another Canadian prairie winter.

There are some genuine perks to a long, cold winter.  There isn't any grass to cut, weeds to pull or flowers to water and there are no mosquitos. 

For some winter is a time to rest and regroup from all the hard work of spring through autumn. A time to gather their thoughts and reconnect with family and friends.

If you have young children at home, there really isn’t much time to rest. I know you are probably reading this sitting on a hard bench at a rink or a gym somewhere thinking, what is she talking about, we don’t rest EVER! I hear you, I have been on that bench.

We have spent many hours at hockey rinks across the province over the years. The Hubs played hockey and then it was our son’s turn to take up the game and our daughter figure skated. They also participated in school sports.  I must confess, I still like a good rink burger now and then.

Those were good times. That was where our social group was. It was easy, in that sense, you just showed up at the rink and your friends were there ready to visit.

It is nice in retirement not to have your life so scheduled by kids’ activities, but it is also good to have planned activities as something to think about and look forward to. I guess that goes back to the whole living in the moment business - not wishing away today even if that bench isn’t very comfy.

It wasn’t uncommon to strike out with our young son early on a Saturday morning to spend twelve hours at a hockey tournament. Games were seldom cancelled because of the cold, it is Saskatchewan after all. Forty below zero or not the games went ahead.

Figure skating was a bit different. We didn’t have to travel like we did with hockey, but it was still a big commitment. Lessons, practices and test days in an unheated rink took some grit on the kids’ part. Parents ran the concession and did a lot of planning for the annual ice carnivals. Many hours went in to making decorations, costumes and playing music. Parents even dusted off their skates on occasion to perform at carnivals and hockey games. When people look at these events as casual observers, they would never realize the effort that goes into it.


The Hubs was often on the coaching staff of our son’s hockey teams, so he seldom missed a game. They share a passion for hockey. The Hubs, other coaches and parents spent a lot of time organizing games, referees, scorekeepers and transportation. I sewed names on uniforms, made posters and programs and helped with fundraisers.  We all cooked burgers and fries and sold tickets. 

I do try and venture out into winter on occasion. We attend some of our son’s hockey games and go ice fishing. Granted, I am sitting in an ice shack beside a roaring fire, but I do have to get from the truck to the shack. If by some miracle I catch a fish, that is a bonus. Grandma G is out there trying to put meat on the table so cut me some slack.

The other day in the city I was picking my way across an icy parking lot trying not to wipe out and break a hip while wrestling my coat trying to zip it up. When I got near the building a huge gust of wind kicked up and sent the loose snow from the roof blasting into my face and down my neck. 

I am not going to lie I was struggling at that moment, wishing that I was somewhere tropical. Being the prairie girl that I am I zipped up that coat as the snow melted down the back of my neck and soldiered on. What else could I do?

Are you a lover of winter, what are your favourite things to do?

If you think your friends would like this post,
I’d love you to share it.


Print