“Car” | Street Hockey


street hockey Saskatchewan Leask easing kids friendships
     
This story was published in Prairies North Magazine

Hockey was a big part of our son and his friends’ winter activities. When they weren’t at the rink, they could usually be found playing street hockey out in front of our house.  

From the time our son was five years old he kept an impressive list of phone numbers of guys and girls to call to come and play street hockey.  I can still picture his little list sitting beside our home phone.


Most week days after school throughout those long winters our phone would start to ring with inquiries as to whether “the game” was on or not. Eventually, I gave up hope that a call would ever be for me.

I can remember one frosty day as I was drudging home from work, I observed that the game was already in full swing.  The kids, then in their early teens, were yelling out which NHL player they wanted to be and one of the boys yelled “I’m Hayley Wickenheiser”.

Whenever a vehicle would approach, the players would yell out the word “car” to make sure everyone was alerted. The game would abruptly stop, and the nets were dragged to the side of the road so that the vehicle could pass by.  

The village traffic and the neighbors were pretty tolerant and often took a different street so as not to interrupt the big game. Those kids ran and played in the cold for hours until supper time finally ended the game for the day. 

Photo from Riverbend Review Newspaper circa 2000

Our garage became the storage unit for hockey nets, goalie pads and masks, blockers, sticks, pucks, tennis balls and abandoned items of winter clothing.  I was the equipment manager and part owner of the equipment, delegated to repair ripped pads and goalie blockers. Trying to stitch those up by hand was no easy task. 


I also served cookies and hot chocolate once in awhile if they hadn't already raided my fridge before I got home from work. 

Sometimes on a clear winter day when I look out my kitchen window I can still visualize “the game”. Those years flew by so fast. 

Those small-town street hockey games are great memories my son and his friends share. That same group of road warriors are still best of buddies today. Seven of them were at his side in June, standing with him as he was married. An awesome tribute to lasting childhood friendships. 



If you think your friends would like this post, I’d love you to share it. 

Listen to this episode on my 


Comments

KarenWM said…
Just catching up on your posts. I really enjoyed this one - the 'Car' gang have grown into some fine looking lads.

Print