In the Interest of Safety | Halloween

Kids costumes, Care Bears
Care Bears Trick-or-Treating 2017


I would probably have to say that I am a reluctant participant at best when it comes to Halloween celebrations. I marvel at people who get so excited about Halloween. They are usually creative people who can come up with great costume ideas and make those ideas come to life.  

I know making costumes was something my Mom dreaded and when I became a parent, I felt her pain. Thank goodness for my talented mother-in-law who made several of my kids costumes over the years including a clown suit and a bunny rabbit made from fuzzy brown car seat covers. 




We did bust out our fifties costumes one year for the community dance which was a lot of fun. My mother in law donned a poodle skirt and she enjoyed that outing with her great grandkids so much. 


Halloween, Fifties Costumes
Community Halloween Dance 2017 - Fifties Family

The Hubs and I were always very diligent about sorting through the kids' candy and confiscating anything we thought might not be good for them - in the interest of safety of course. I think we were more excited for them to return home with their bags of candy then they were. Eventually, my son caught on to our thievery and no longer trusted us around his candy, so he kept it secured in his bedroom. Seriously, if those mini chocolate bars are in the house, I can hear the evil little things calling my name. 

The spirit of Halloween can bring out some pranksters for sure but there are always some heartwarming stories to go along with the cute kids in their fuzzy little costumes. 

One year when my son was four years old, he was sick on Halloween day and wasn’t up to trick-or-treating. Understandably, the poor little fella was very disappointed. It was a cold, rainy, windy day, as Halloween in Saskatchewan often is, but his nine-year-old sister took it upon herself to take his treat bag out and get candy for him to have when he felt better. I think that is one of my favourite Halloween memories.  

Do a lot of parents still feel inadequate when it comes to Halloween costumes for their kids like my Mom and I did? Just know that being there enjoying the experience with them is more important than an expensive costume. When you are sorting through the candy, mentally scoping out what you are going to eat later, enjoy a conversation with them about their Halloween adventures.   


Thank you for reading! 



If you think your friends would like this post, I’d love you to share it.  

Thank

Comments

I just love to see the little ones all dressed up and recall what fun it was for myself then later on my own children to go out all dressed up. Can't be too careful with the candy though. I always took my kids to the homes of people I knew, never to a stranger's house.

Print