Old Rose | Every Garden is Full of Stories



   Walking through my yard I started thinking about how every garden must be full of hidden stories that you would never know anything about.


     In my yard I see:


  Flat white rocks that I scoured the countryside for and the Hubs “happily” carried home for me. 
   
     Perennial plants I purchased as a retirement gift from longtime colleagues. 

     A massive tamarack tree that I bought when it was six inches tall; people walking by like to stop and touch its soft needles.  
  
            A variety of lilies collected from Honeywood Heritage Nursery in Parkside; a beautiful, peaceful place to visit.

Shrubs I got from my son and daughter-in-law for Mother's Day.

A Walker's Weeping Pea shrub, or upside down tree as I call it, that my daughter bought me. She could barely get it home in her little university car. 

    Purple balloon flowers my mother-in-law brought from her Mom’s garden. 
   
     Ferns my mother-in-law dug and brought for me.

A vine that grew on the back of the old farmhouse.  After the house was vacant the vine took over; it was unstoppable.

  Fifty-foot spruce trees dug from a swamp when they were only a few feet tall.
                                                           
     Iris’ my grandmother grew when this was her home.

     Sweet peas; grown from the seeds given to guests at my daughter-in-law’s bridal shower in June.

Blue flax; from the seeds that were attached to my brother and sister-in-law's wedding invitation twenty years ago.

     A lilac bush planted by my grandmother that has faithfully bloomed every June for 37 years on time for our wedding anniversary.  

The place on the lawn where the Hubs worked so hard to build a skating rink for the kids and their friends.
  
Old Rose, the ninety-year-old rose bush originally planted by my grandmother on the farm.             
                                                 
  Take the time to notice the beauty around you; maybe you will hear one or two hidden stories....   

 What plants or trees have you collected over the years that tell your story of love, loss and heritage?

Listen to this episode on my podcast - 


Thank you for reading! 
     
If you think your friends would like this post, I’d love you to share it! 

Thank you for reading!

Comments

Print