It’s all About the Prep


I thought I would direct some of that need to keep busy energy into making some food items to have on hand when visitors arrive.

Well, my stash has grown substantially over the past week and there are more ideas on my list. This got me thinking about the whole thought process surrounding food.  Although my Mom is an excellent cook, I won’t ever say she was a foodie. She eats to live not lives to eat.  My Grandma’s though would say things like - “eat, eat”, “you sick you don’t eat”, “you don’t like it”, etc.

Eating is a very social activity and has been throughout the generations I suppose. In my world getting together with people always involves food no matter what time of day it is.

When my kids were little the snacks I made were popular with their many friends. I always told my daughter it is all about the prep and the presentation. An apple would sit in the fridge and no one would give the poor thing a second glance but when I cut it up and presented it before them on a nice little plate with some sliced cheese it became a snack to pounce on.

In social settings food seems to relax and bring people together, we can always concentrate on what we are eating instead of those around us if we feel uncomfortable. Sitting side by side puts people at ease, conversations then start to flow more easily.

The concept of feasting has been around since the beginning of time, so I guess it is in my genes from sway back - or maybe I was a serving girl in a past life.  I guess anything is possible!

Listen to this episode on my podcast -


Thank you for reading! 

If you think your friends would like this post, I’d love you to share it. 

Comments

Print